advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cervical RB Ablation with Horrific Pain on the OPPOSITE SIDE FROM THE ABLATION SITE!!

This past week I had RF ablation on the right side C-2 through C-6. I've has the procedure done before although the last time was probably 4yrs ago. I've mostly been doing epidurals to manage pain but moved and the Dr. suggested this. I had gotten some relief in the past so I agreed. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG.

He definitely did the correct side as I have the marks on the right side of my neck. However 95% of the pain is on the left side of my neck and I have very very limited range of motion with my head. You would have thought I had the procedure was on the left side with how painful it is. The paid on the right side is more down the  thoracic but I feel like the left side of my neck is on fire and is literally trying to hold my head up. I had the procedure Wed and it Saturday and I slept three days straight. I would try to take painkillers but would just fall asleep with them in my hands. I had a fever the whole time also. I don't want to go to the ER over nothing. 

Has anyone else had RF ablation on one side by the majority of the pain on the opposite side??? This is 4 days out.

Thanks!
I really appreciate any help ;)
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello littlebear16 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• This past week I had RF ablation on the right side C-2 through C-6. I've has the procedure done before although the last time was probably 4yrs ago. I've mostly been doing epidurals to manage pain but moved and the Dr. suggested this. I had gotten some relief in the past so I agreed. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG.

He definitely did the correct side as I have the marks on the right side of my neck. However 95% of the pain is on the left side of my neck and I have very very limited range of motion with my head. You would have thought I had the procedure was on the left side with how painful it is. The paid on the right side is more down the  thoracic but I feel like the left side of my neck is on fire and is literally trying to hold my head up. I had the procedure Wed and it Saturday and I slept three days straight. I would try to take painkillers but would just fall asleep with them in my hands. I had a fever the whole time also. I don't want to go to the ER over nothing. 

Has anyone else had RF ablation on one side by the majority of the pain on the opposite side??? This is 4 days out.

Thanks!
    I really appreciate any help ;)

I just had one today. Not too much pain on opposite side. Alot of pressure at site of procedure. Numb at base of skull up back of head, similar to MBB. Just took advil a few hours ago and pain is probably a 7 down from 8. Not starting back on meloxicam til tomorrow. Don't feel the burning yet. Hope you start feeling better soon!! BTW I've been icing alot!!!
  • advertisement
  • susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    Hi. Littlebear16.  I had a RFA. About 2 years ago, and I refuse to have anymore, right before the procedure my pain dr 
    advised me that I could have Horner's syndrome well I ended up with it and was scary my one eyelid was going down on its own.  Then my hand was on Fire and he sent me some type of cream to bring down the burning, then I had to get another injection into the sympathetic nerve!     I will never get another RFA.  Ever

d

q

e
    ee 
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • morgank47morgank47 Vista, CaliforniaPosts: 55
    I have never had an RFA but I believe I want one as epidurals are bringing me very minimal relief. I read your post and I have the exact symptoms your describing (just switched sides). Over the course of the last 3 months since the date of my accident my neck (right side behind ear c2-4 area) is on fire especially while sitting trying to keep my head upright, if I don't prop head with hands in in deep trouble. MRI revealed most damage is on left side (Modic Changes c3/c4 / Facet Degenerative Changes / Compression Fracture C6 Grade 1 / 3 bulges into thecal sac and narrowing left foramen from c4-c6. The origin point is always C6, however I always have the same exact pain your describing with neck on fire, and lately it has effected my vision (with the headache), and even feels to wrap around close to Adam's apple. I hope you end up feeling better and I was going to ask how much more significant relief do you get from a RFA as compared to an ESI injection / Facet Injections? 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.