advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Pain Clinic Medication

I'm in my early 50s and have chronic lower back pain from bulging discs, and arthritis.  My L4/L5 disc is in bad shape and I have pain and numbness down my left leg.  I starting going to a pain clinic recently and have been prescribed gaberpentin and tramadol.  Neither does anything for my pain, but before going to this clinic my doctor prescribed percocet and that did help.  I wonder if this clinic is going to give me a more effective pain medicine?  I had to sign a long contract about opioids and had to take a drug test on my first visit.  Now I'm wondering what they will do for me?  They are also pushing the steroid injections which I've had before but not had good experiences with.
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443
    Signing a contract and taking a drug test is normal procedure for a pain clinic. Read your contract carefully, highlight any concerns and make notes of any questions. On your next visit go in prepared to discuss this. I always have a note pad with me with all my concerns and take notes when we're discussing my treatment. Most of the time they will want you to go through the injections, physical therapy, etc. to see what will work. And hopefully something will. They are probably not going to prescribe drugs right off the bat. But work with them, let them know when something doesn't work and make suggestions of what you think might help. It's important to get off to a good start with them, it's their way of weeding out the people in legitimate pain verses the addicts. The process can be frustrating but worth it in the end. I have a very good relationship with my PM and the nurses but I let them know up front I will listen to you but I want you to "hear" me. I do a lot of research on everything and always go in prepared. Good luck and ask them that question "what are you going to do for me?".
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,496
    i'd like to welcome you to the forums, annthorn. 

i was never a candidate for pain management, or at least never referred...  but i wanted to welcome you on board.  looks like you are off to a great start with memerainbolt though.

please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started welcome to spine-health
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443
    Thank you Bruce!!  annthorn, I've been there done that, I'll be glad to help all I can.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.