advertisement
advertisement

anti-inflammatory prescription?

smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
I'd like to hear what there is out there for anti-inflammatory that is gentler on the stomach that the OTC stuff.  I used Advil for years, and it worked for me, but earlier this year I went to ER with severe stomach pain that I nearly passed out from.  Turns out my stomach lining is toast now, told no more ibuprofen.  Naproxen has always given me problems too.  I mostly put up with the pain and discomfort until it is unbearable and then take baclofen for muscle relaxant or morphine with Gravol.  I'm not happy with the after effects of this program anymore (headaches, nausea).  So what anti-inflammatories are being prescribed out there?  I'm seeing my Dr. tomorrow and would like to discuss with him.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, I have an ulcer from naproxen use and cant take any of the meds you mentioned. I now take Etoricoxib 90mg- always with food. Don't know if the drug is OK in the US.
    Good Luck
    David Cohen
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 754
    I was prescribed Vimovo which is an anti-inflammatory with a pepcid (or something) for your stomach so it can be taken for a long period of time. 
    Ellen 
  • advertisement
  • Hi Ellen
    I am struggling with my stomach in fact I have an apt. today with the tummy Doc. I have never heard of that drug and want to ask him about it. What kind of stomach issues do you have if you don't mind me asking.
    Thanks Sherri
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 754
    I don't have any stomach issues but she thought I'd be on it for awhile so it was preventative. I will tell you I had to fill the rx through a specialty pharmacy through the mail. If you want their info, you can pm me.
    Good luck!
    Ellen 
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 397
    My chiro gave me something called bromine...made from pineapples. Doesn't tear up your stomach. Might want to ask about it.

:)
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    thanks for the suggestions, I may refer back to them.  @Sooverit  is bromine something you'd get from a health food store? For now, dr prescribed me some tramadol to use instead of morphine for the tough bouts, to see if I do OK with that.
  • Bromine is a swimming pool chemical
    Poison.

Bromelain is made from pinapples
    Simple mistake...but drastic differences.

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
     :D I was trying to find info on it yesterday...confused, I was! 
  • I like the one on "The Best-Tasting Anti-Inflammatory Cocktail You've Never Tried". Looks like it would go well with tequila :)  
  • Bromelain is a protien found in pineapple. It has anti-inflammatory effects. It's from the stem or root in the most dense form, I think, but is found throughout the fruit as well. Yet another reason to enjoy the delicious fruit!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.