advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Why do I NOT hurt sometimes?

I find this interesting. If I have a broad-based disc bulge on my L4-5... it hasnt gone anywhere I'm assuming in the past 2 years. So why are there weeks, where I can literally be pain free? 
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,496
    cnote

You are the second person today to mention that sometimes the pain goes away for a period of time.  It is a good question, I don't know though.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Hi Cnote, 
    My guess is that as long as one is  careful and the herniated disc doesn't touch or irritate anything, you're OK. One false move, something bangs the disc into the nerve- and the pain is back.
    I remind myself that problems like ours are chronic diseases like any other- and live in accord: Stretch and walk every day, physiotherapy every other week even if nothing hurts (andmre when it does), don't sit too long, etc.
    But no matter what- like  "Blondie" singe- some day its "gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha".
    David

• advertisement
  • Cnote! I was just wondering how you are. I am the person Bruce is referring to who mentioned going pain-free for periods of time. I feel like, for me, I feel better and start to think I can be my old self and I lift up my 50-lb kid, or I rearrange a room and a few days later I'm back to square one. But I really don't know. I always think, ah ha! It's over! I've beaten it at last! Then it returns and I spiral back into misery.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,496
    Actually Virginia, I think that makes 3 for the day.  I was thinking of someone else, but so glad that it includes you.  It has been an unusually pain free day for some of you - for that I am thankful.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• I'll tell you, after I did that stretch and heard that rib pop, I've been fine.
  • advertisement
  • cnotecnote USAPosts: 75
    edited 08/18/2016 - 8:11 AM
    Have any of you ever read Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno? I'm half way through, and I've started the homework.

It can't hurt. If nothing else, it can help with my anxiety issues. :)

I mean, some of his theories make sense if you look at case studies. 

I have a broad-based bulge in my L4-5, and I can have pain sometimes, then for months, NO pain.

I am also a person who deals with anxiety a lot... so I kind of fit the profile.

Like I said, I'm a bit skeptic, but at the same time... it can't hurt to try his methods.
  • Ha! Howard Stern used to talk about that book all the time!
  • Also check out The Great Pain Deception, author Steven Ray Ozanich. The power of the mind is vastly underestimated.
  • Marybogie, I definitely will after I finish Healing Back Pain.

I've lived with, and have dealt with anxiety symptoms for nearly 9 years now. I know it can do some awful wicked stuff. I used to have IBS, migraines, acid reflux, insomnia, heart issues, ulcer type issues, head spasms, you name it, stress/anxiety can do LOTS of things.

I'm still a BIT skeptical, but I kind of fit the profile for TMS. It can't hurt. My doctor wants me to see a therapist anyways, so why not try TMS therapy. If nothing else, it will probably help with my underlying health anxiety issues. :)
  • dazcdazc Posts: 97
    edited 08/19/2016 - 6:28 AM

I just got a copy of Dr Sarno's book, thanks for the  recommendation.

[edit] I have started using the  chronic pain protocols
    on myself- so far with limited success. I wouldn't recommend  any of the
    online EMDR material without asking a professional first.

As a someone [edit] who suffers from  chronic pain , I have no doubt
    that our mental state,  contributes to our level of pain. Dealing
    with pain is exhausting (even without the benzos and the narcotics), boy in the
    short and long term. It makes many people self centered and enhances their
    sense of entitlement, in others it induces hopelessness and guilt. We want to
    function like we used to- but sometimes we just can't.

Chronic pain  can't be dealt with alone (groups like this are
    amazingly helpful and important- I've only been 3 days on the group and it has
    helped immensely). I strongly recommend that all who can go to self help
    groups, share the pain with friends, learn to lean on someone (not only
    physically).

Sometimes we have to give in to the pain- take some time off, up the
    medication- but that's only a strategic retreat. If we remember that in the end
    we are in control we'll be better off.

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.