advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Just scheduled for surgery!

Hello. Wow what a site full of helpful people and great information. To make a long story short, I have been off work for the last 2 years thinking I had "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" only to discover at the beginning of the month that I have congenital cervical stenosis with myelopathy and degenerative disc disease. Talk about being pretty flabbergasted! And things are progressing at the speed of electricity.

I have been to see a noted spinal surgeon at a prestigious hospital and he pretty much said it is surgery or you will end up paralyzed in a wheelchair with no dexterity. I have a second opinion scheduled with a neurosurgeon and surgery tentatively scheduled for mid-September. So much to think about and to do! But I really have a good feeling about this particular surgeon and definitely don't want my symptoms to get worse to the point of being paralyzed.

For anyone who is curious, I am scheduled to have: C3-C7 Laminoplasty and C3-C5 ACDF.

Would love to hear from anyone who has had similar procedures done. Thanks for listening! x
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 756
    Hi!
    You are staying positive! I do not have experience with your issue but I 'm sure someone here does. This is a great place for information and commiseration!
    Best of luck!
    Ellen 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,509
    StayingPositive61

I have had the ACDF part.  To read my story, follow the link below in my signature.

Do you have questions or concerns?

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,264
    hello stayingpositive61 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,264
    Hello...
    Not sure, but you may benefit from reading....Post op Must Haves...and...Recovery the Most Important Phase.
    You can find by using search, upper right on page.

I wish you very best with your surgery and smooth recovery!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi guys! Thank you very much. back from my second opinion and we have decided on just the posterior laminoplasty c3-c7. Both surgeons i saw (neuro and ortho) will be doing the surgery so that is nice. And it was fast-tracked to next Wednesday because of increase in my problem areas (hands pain and leg coordination). 

Any suggestions for what to get from the store beforehand? Doctor got me a shower chair today and i already have a walker. The post op must haves sure is helpful. Thanks x
  • advertisement
    Hi
    Will you have someone helping you at home after surgery? Make sure you have things you need near your bed. The list of "must haves" is pretty comprehensive!
    Good luck and stay positive! Let us know how you are after surgery.
    Ellen 

• edited 09/03/2016 - 1:37 PM
    Hi Ellen. My mom is taking off work thursday through Sunday after surgery and tbd afterwards. Will i need help at home? Thanks
    Hi
    I did not have the same surgery. I had a microdiscectomy but was still thankful for assistance the first few days. Everyone's recovery is different so you will have to see how it goes. I think having your mom there will be super helpful.
    Good luck!
    Ellen 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.