advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

BACK TO WORK!

Decided enough was enough. Stopped oxycontin and valium on sunday night, was cranky and growled at everyone on Monday (except at my dog, because he growls back and has sharp teeth),  forced myself to get out of the house and take a walk and stretch.

Pain is down to its regular 3-4, which I can live with (after a week long flare of 9-10 which drove me crazy and would have sent me to the ER had I not known better, because what are they going to do for me in the ER that I cant do for myself at home? When a herniated disc wants to dig into  your sciatic nerve, you just have to ride it out)

Today I got up and went to work. Took a 5mg oxycontin (lowest dose they have here), head is pretty clear, left leg is totally numb- but I can function. I' working standing up. I hobble around with a cane, I lock my door every couple of hours to stretch on the floor- but I'm here and I'm working just like a real person. My one concession was asking the secretary carry some files and to fill my coffee pot from the kitchen. That's it.

I refuse to give in to the pain, and I refuse to let it ruin my life. Someday my degenerating spine might do just that- but not for now.

I am inordinately proud of myself (although I;m not sure I spelled "inordinately" right- there is no English Spell check on my office computer).  

Back to work..

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped me out over the past week. This was the worst acute flare-up I've had in a long time, and  I probably couldn't have gotten over it so fast with out your help.

David C

advertisement

Comments

• Good for You!
    I usually wobnle around work

They know very well when ive had enough
    Getting up takes a while
    And they understand

Every once in a while the inner dialog slips and my pain makes its presence known

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• totally. thanks.
  • advertisement
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 320
    Good for you! I hope that others can find comfort from your experience and positive attitude!
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 446
    I'm glad you got some relief and got back to work!  Attitude goes a long way with this stuff, keep looking up!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.