advertisement
advertisement

L5 S1 microdiscectomy #2

Hi all. I had a micro discectomy on a bulging L5 S1 disc last week. Right away I saw a 50- 75% improvement in my leg pain. 5 days in I went back to work - 45 minute drive. I had a bit of leg pain getting out of the car but it subsided in a few seconds. I walked into my office,  which is kinda cold,  and sneezed.  Instant pain all the way down my leg.  It got worse over the course of the day. An MRI showed a reherniation and I'm scheduled for another micro discectomy next week.

I really want this one to stick this time so I had some questions. 

1) which is easiest on my disc: standing,  sitting, or lying down? 
2) is there anything else to avoid besides lifting, bending, or twisting? 
3) is a newer cushier car better on my back than an old jalopie? I drive a 92 Saab which has a ride similar to a Jeep and seats to match. I can switch with my wife for a month if it would protect the disc better. She has a smooth riding new Volvo. 
4) should I limit my time in the car?  What about flying? We have a wedding to go to in early October? Should we fly instead of taking a 6 hour drive?

Thanks all. This site is a Godsend.
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 754
    Hi
    Wow, you went back to work really quickly! I have an hour commute each way. I had a Microdiscectomy at L5S1 on 6/16. I stayed out of work for 4 weeks, didn't even get into a car as a passenger for a week after surgery (other than the ride home from the hospital). And didnt attempt to drive for another week after that. So maybe this time around, take more time off and ease back into driving.

I also avoided sitting down as much as possible at first. I did drive 4.5 hours about 5 weeks out and it was ok.

Reherniation is a big fear for me so maybe I was overly cautious but it has worked out. I've been back to work for 2 weeks and so far, so good!

All that being said, everyone is different. You may be able to do the 6 hour drive with some breaks. I found driving our pick up easier than our 4-door sedan initially.
    Best of luck!
    Ellen 
  • Hello,

When I had my first microdiscectomy at L5S1 I stayed home for 2 weeks.  Did not lifting, twisting or bending and just walked.  After those two weeks I still did not lift or bend for about another two weeks.  I went 6 years before I re-herniated my disc again.  This time I choose to do a Fusion.  Anyways make sure you stand when you sneeze and do not bend forward.  Good Luck!
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    sneezing is the worst, been known to make a big girl cry!  Everyone is different, as Ellen already pointed out.  If it was me, I'd choose the higher-riding vehicle, just too much bending/twisting going on to enter & exit a car.  I'd guess that the 45 minute drive is a bit much to start so soon after surgery.  Is there a way you can stop and walk around a bit in between?  Or arrive at work a little early and go for a 15 minute walk before you start work?  I know that for me, I pay for any amount of sitting.  Walking and lying down, I can do almost indefinitely with little consequence, even standing is not too bad, but I do prefer to keep moving.  I understand many businesses are now quite accommodating for employees with back issues, supplying elevated desks for standing at, etc.  I wish you all the best with the revision and may you see full recovery this time!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,299
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello pronouncedeyen!
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forumplease click on link for helpful information!
  • Sitting is the worst, specially if you are not sitting in correct posture. Check out the Gokhale method. I didn't buy any of her equipment but do kinda use that technique when sitting and it helps. Maintain correct posture when sitting though - get a McKenzie roll to help maintain posture if your chair is bad (I have good lumbar support in office chair as well as my car seat). Sleeping on the side with knees bent a little helps too. Don't slouch when standing - keep shoulders back.

Hope you feel better.

• advertisement
  • trixttrix LiverpoolPosts: 34
    Wow that's good going. I was told not to drive for 6 weeks after my discectomy 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.