advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Introduction to me

Hiya. So glad I came across this Forum. Have suffered with back problems since I was about 16. First a prolapsed disc, which lasted quite a while and was rather painful for someone so young. Fast forward many years and one morning I woke in AGONY, not able to move either leg, spent full month in the upper part of house, couldn't do stairs, in fact could do very little, including making it the few steps to the toilet so a bucket was used in the bedroom, very undignified I have to say. Physio and chiropractor attended, MRI done and showed bulging disc pressing on several nerves. Now nearly 2 years later I have just had a spinal disectomy and one week into recovery really wonder why I bothered. In total agony again but hoping it early days.
advertisement

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 446
    well I hope you're just one of the ones for whom recovery is slow but steady.  I was.  And a little jealous of all those who said they woke from surgery with no more pain!  When you consider that nerves are compressed for a long time (for me it was 9 months of waiting in pain) it only makes sense that they need time to 'bounce back'.  Also, to do the surgery they do have to work around those nerves, moving them aside, etc., so they are irritated and inflamed for a while.  Are you able to do the post-op exercises?  Most patients are told to walk and walk some more (check with your doctor first, every situation is unique).  It brings blood flow to the surgical site and aids in healing.  I walked Day 2 after surgery, and never stopped :), especially since I could not walk for 9 months prior.  I wish you all the best in your recovery!  Just be patient, stay on top of your medication for that first while, and hopefully in no time you're wondering what all the fuss was about!
  • Lainey1967Lainey1967 Bishopbriggs Posts: 34
    Thank you Smartens162. Know its early days and suppose you right in the fact that nerves have been trapped for a pretty long time, just hope it doesn't take as long to feel better, lol! Wasn't given any post-operative exercises, just told to walk? ☹
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 446
    the exercises seem to be as varied as the surgeons who recommend them.  Mine only recommended walking for the first few weeks, as well as 'marching on the spot' and doing stairs often throughout the day.  Those last 2 are supposed to help with keeping the developing scar tissue from 'sticking'.  But you should follow what your doctor advised, since every person's situation is unique.
  • Lainey1967Lainey1967 Bishopbriggs Posts: 34
    Will try walking on the spot, not seen my own doc as yet - it was physio in hospital who told me just to walk but the pain on doing this is unbearable \ maybe I too impatient? ☹
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.