advertisement
advertisement

ACDF

Ladies, can you suggest what to wear to hospital for same day surgery?  ACDF C4-C7.  I may stay one night but am not sure.  September 7 is the day and I have to admit that I am quite anxious, especially about returning home.  My husband (77yo) and I (72 yo) have our 20 Month old great granddaughter around the clock.  Taking care of her is what I am most anxious about even though my husband is a great caregiver.

advertisement

Comments

• I stayed 2 nights for ACDF 5/6. I wore normal clothes to the hospital - but I took a small suitcase with a couple of pairs of jogging pants, loose t-shirts, comfy socks and jumpers, etc. - as well as a toothbrush, etc. I wanted stuff that was comfortable and easy to put on - and that I could sleep in too. I wore slip on shoes - so much easier than trying to tie laces.  
    A lot of people just wear hospital gowns after surgery.
    Good luck!
  • Thank you
  • advertisement
  • laurietlauriet Kent, WAPosts: 33
    When I had my surgery I wore sweat pants and t-shirts with big necks, for bed I have pj's that are crop pants and t-shirts. If you have slippers or socks with the non skid bottoms you will need them for therapy. If you don't they will provide them for you. Good luck with surgery. 

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    Natonia

Have you discussed taking care of that 20 month old after surgery with your surgeon?  You will most likely have some restrictions on lifting, and kids are usually heavier than that.  Just be sure that you know what you should and shouldn't do after surgery.
  • I was told to wear a button down shirt, which I did. I stayed overnight and by the next day could get a big t-shirt on. It's a little warm for Uggs in early September, but my surgery was in January and I lived in Uggs, except when I was out walking, which I started 5 days post-op.  For the first week , someone had to help me tie my sneakers and I couldn't bend sufficiently. By the second week or so, I could sit on a low  to the ground stool and tie my own sneakers.
  • advertisement
  • Hello, friends.  I had ACDF surgery one week ago and stayed one night.  On the way home, we were sideswiped by a hit and run driver.  Wow, that was a surprise but no injuries, thankfully.  Surgery went very well.  I came home with meds for pain but did not need them------until today.  Now, all of a sudden I am having pain in my right shoulder and arm and having to take pain meds.  I am hoping it's just part of the healing process.  Anyone else have this issue?

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    Natonia

It does seem to be a common thing for pain to show up a week or so after surgery.  But, anytime you have serious concern, don't hesitate to call your surgeon's office.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.