advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Severe numbness and Pain still present in hand and finger after cervical fusion surgery

I had disk fusion surgery in my neck 4 weeks ago.  Before the surgery i had severe numbness and pain in my hand, little finger and part of my ring finger.  I was hoping this would all go away after my surgery but it has not and i am concerned it may not get better. THis is my dominant hand so its really worrisome.  By end of each day the tightness and pain  gets really uncomfortable.  Has anyone dealt with this and maybe there is hope the nerve will heal and all will be well with my hand?
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello,garcia12 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    edited 09/09/2016 - 12:43 AM
    Garcia - Welcome!

As you can see I have had a couple of cervical surgeries.  Mine have been over a 9 to 10 period of time.
    Over that time I had had MANY varied degrees of radiculopathy ... numbness ...... weakness ....... pins and needles ...... etc.  

Over this time, some of my problems have gone away completely post surgery, and other have remained for years.  One of them being my left pinky, ring, and middle fingers and hand.  

Recovery from spinal surgery is not a race to an endpoint - its is a journey to which there can be many twists and turns.
    You are early in the process and the final results will not be in for months possibly years.

Have you had a 6 week follow up this your surgeon??  He has the "inside story" having seen your neck and nerves.  It would be appropriate to ask him you concerns about your current status and expectations on return of function and normality to the effected area(s).

Warm Regards,

Dave
  • advertisement
  • I had the same problem. Everyone I had spoken to before my cervical fusion had said that their pain was gone instantly after surgery. So you can imagine my concern when I woke up and still had severe pain in my right arm and hand!!
    The surgeon's response to this was that I had "angry nerves" and that he wasn't surprised the pain wasn't gone. Yikes! I had a bone that had broke off in my car accident and it took him 2 hours in surgery to get it out of the nerves.

It was 9 weeks after my surgery before the pain went away in my arm and hand. So I would say give it some time and try to be patient and positive!
    This is a long recovery and I hope your pain will go away completely like mine did after a long 4 months!!

Best of luck to you!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello torieb!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.