advertisement
advertisement

how to sit with disc bulge?

scopussscopus Posts: 13
edited 09/02/2016 - 4:03 AM in Lower Back Pain
hey one thing i find very hard that makes my symptoms worse is sitting , especially in the car. What do you guys find is the best way to sit that will put least pressure on disc? 
like sit straight up at a 90 degree angle, or reclined?
advertisement

Comments

• I stand, almost all day. When I drive, I have an orthopedic car seat, but that doesn't help much. When in the passenger seat, I tilt the seat back about 45 degrees. But everyone is different- depends on what's whacking the nerve and where. 
  • scopussscopus Posts: 13
    edited 09/02/2016 - 6:13 AM

dazc said:
    I stand, almost all day. When I drive, I have an orthopedic car seat, but that doesn't help much. When in the passenger seat, I tilt the seat back about 45 degrees. But everyone is different- depends on what's whacking the nerve and where. 
    thanks, seeing u sit in reclined think better i will try to sit only in reclined position . I tryed reclined today and felt some less pain but wasnt sure it is better for my back as i read on some website "try to sit in perfect upright posture" , but thinking reclined should be better as it feels that puts less of ur weight on lower back and distributes some to upper back. I try to stand as much as i can as well, but i find standing in one position can sometimes be just as bad as sitting. I usually can only stand for about 10 minutes till back and legs hurt to much from my l5s1 bulge. The two things im usually doing that arent so bad and usually help is laying down and walking. 
  • advertisement
  • my work built me a stand up workstation, and i walk around the office alot. none of the regulars even notice anymore. even the clients know that i work standing up, and they've gotten used to it. 
  • RRMRRM Chennai, IndiaPosts: 16
    edited 09/02/2016 - 9:02 AM
    Hi Scopus, My most comfortable posture is when sitting 90 degree straight at the Corner of a Hard surfaced Dining Table Chairs, Tea Tables or Big Stools with both my Feet, Butt & Head in a straight line. I have to keep my spine at 90 degrees since i can't bare or balance my upper body weight if I bend or lean myself to any one side for too long.
  • right on- I plan my driving routes so I can stop every 45 minutes, and take the train whenever i can.
  • advertisement
    edited 09/02/2016 - 11:11 AM
    I stopped driving a car since i couldn't sit in a Car Seat for more than 20 minutes without getting my foot numbed, at one point I was pressing the accelerator instead of the breaks and had to stop driving. And Now a days If i sit in a car seat or in a Cinema Theatre, I end up sleeping after 10-20 minutes, and I never get to see the complete movie in my present condition. :-D
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 654
    As a mentor of mine says "Your next position is your best position". What that means is if what you're doing hurts, change. You'll find a good position. 

Be aware of your low back relaxing too much so that your pelvis tucks under (every so often do the opposite and roll your hips and low back forward). Do a few repetitions of squeezing your glutes together.

Be aware of your knees falling to the side in external rotation. Forward tilt your hips and low back and bring your knees together and do a few repetitions of knee squeezes engaging your inner/upper thigh. Try to then keep your knees in alignment with you hips and shoulders and ankles. 

Be aware of your shoulders internally rotating and rounding forward (I grab the wheel with palms up at 5 and 7 so they stay externally rotated - and I will also gently squeeze my shoulder blades together and down for a few repetitions every so often). Do shoulder rolls forward and backward. 

Be aware of your head and neck jutting forward toward the wheel. Make sure your rear-view mirrors are set up so that you do not have to lower your head to see through them. You should be able to view them erect and upright.

I know it sounds crazy, but don't recline your seat too much...a smidge below 90deg is fine. Doing these simple exercises during driving will be easier the more upright you sit.   

Try to find pre-driving exercises that promote the exact opposite movements of what you'll be doing when driving. They should promote posterior movements (some of which I mention above) since when driving, we are moving anterior. I drove from Ohio to Orlando, FL, and Ohio to Gulf Shores, AL doing these and they helped tremendously.

And I agree with Ron in that I try to never sit more than 30 minutes at a time. I alternate sitting/standing every 15-20 minutes when watching tv, working at the computer, eating, etc. Good luck!  
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    I find there's no perfect fit for sitting.  I fidget and squirm alot.  Every now and then I'll notice I've been comfortable in a certain position for say 10/15 minutes, but it's never the same.  So I don't do a lot of sitting still, but move around however possible.
  • thanks guys, well ever since my problem, i try now not to drive as much, if can take train or bus to lay or stand for the journey. for the times i do drive ill put those great tips to use, cheers
    edited 09/02/2016 - 2:30 PM

MarWin said:
    As a mentor of mine says "Your next position is your best position". What that means is if what you're doing hurts, change. You'll find a good position. 

100% Agree with MarWin on this...Best Regards & Cheers. :-)
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.