advertisement
advertisement

Neuro Surgery

Hi all, was unsure of where to post this so I'll start with a history of what's been going on.

I had an L5/S1 discectomy back I'm January 2016 which was unsuccessful. We agreed another surgery was the best option yet this was delayed by having an epidural and then facet injections both of which provided no relief. I am now waiting investigatory surgery (should've been 02/9) 

Since the facet injections I have been experiencing sharp sciatic nerve pain resulting in me ending up face first on the floor where my legs have given way. I've been in incredible pain since my last fall (around where I had surgery and to the right of)  yet as always just put up with it. Today it came to a head and I took myself to the walk in who then sent me to A&E. 

Now my question is this. The nurse at the walk in asked why I haven't seen a neurosurgeon and something similar was made in passing while I was in A&E. ( my procedures have been done by an orthopedic surgeon. )

I've been googling (worst thing to do) and I've seen lots of posts about neuro over ortho but no reasons why?

Apologies if that's all over the shop even laid down I'm in agony.

Any advice 
advertisement

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    my guess is that neuro has more to do with spinal cord and nerves, ortho has more to do with bones.  I think the type of surgeries the neurosurgeon and the orthopedic surgeon do overlap, but there are some things one will do that the other won't.  Sorry for what you're going through.  I hope you get some solid relief soon!
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 754
    Not sure. A neurosurgeon did my surgery. I had a previous nerve issue so it just seemed like a natural progression.
    Good luck, hope you feel better!
    Ellen 
  • advertisement
  • trixttrix LiverpoolPosts: 34
    Unsure of who I should be getting seen by. Recovery is a long road but I'd like to be on that road sooner rather than later 
Sign In or Join Us to comment.