advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

if surgery on c5c6, acdf or artificial disc (mobi-c)?

If i were to go through with surgery for a c5-c6 disc herniation, which would be better for an active person who trains brazilian jiu jits? acdf or artificial disc
i've been to 6 doctors. 3 said acdf, 2 said no surgery, and 1 said mobi-c (artificial disc)  

So i researched the pros and cons.  with the acdf you might need another fusion due to more stress on adjacent discs, with the artificial disc you might get abnormal bone growth (heterotrophic ossification)

The dr that recommended the mobi-c told me that they put rugby players back to play with mobi-c discs.
One of the doctors that suggested fusion told me that I would not lose any mobility since the disc is lower in the neck.

What do you guys think about all this?

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953
    max713 - If you qualify for a artificial disc, I'd recommend going with an it.  I have two fused levels at C3/C4 (did not qualify because of broken facet joint) and C6/C7 (performed before artificial discs were approved by the FDA).  At any level in the neck when it is fused, it places more strain on the next levels above and below the fusion.
  • Hi,

I can answer. I didn't want fusion. My sister had fusion on her lower back, no end of issues post 6 months. She is now 3 years down the line and has leg and feet problems.

I had c5/6 hernia and wanted my movement back / to continue. I read up and had an M6-C fitted. 7 months now. I'm running and lifting again. I'm careful, but feel as if my year of hell is over.

I can say this worked for me. But everyone is different should make their own choice based on firm medical support.

All the best
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.