advertisement
advertisement

herniated disc

Adam36AAdam36 New South WalesPosts: 9
Hi everyone..  so my story.. ive have a herniated disc in L4..L5  compressing on s1 nerve causeing sactic pain dowm my right butt and thigh..     its been 4 months now.  Ive done everything possible to heal it the natural way..  i had a steriod shot into it wich helped also...  currently the pain has pulled back up into my back away my my leg and buttock.. wich is called centralisation..  wich is a great sign its getting better..    its more of a dull anoying ache now just of the the right side of my lower back than a stapping sharp pinch pain like before down my butt and thigh..     its a inflammation issue now..   the big question is how long can i except it to last before it goes away and i can get my life back.
Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Adam,

It's great to hear that your symptoms are getting better. Unfortunately the amount of time it takes to get better is unique to each person. The first time I went through this it took me 3-4 months to get back to normal. For others it can take a lot longer. You have to remember though that a disc injury is a permanent condition and although you can become pain free, it is a lot easier to re-injure the area. 

I would highly recommend you do some research to understand how you can best manage this moving forward, this may come down to doing a few stretches and strengthening exercises daily at first and then a few times a week for the rest of your life. The most important thing is to avoid injuring the area any further as this will make recovery longer each time and further damage the disc.

Once any pain and discomfort is gone, I would still give it a few more months before considering the area to be well healed. Even then, ease back into activities and remember you have a weakness now and should avoid loading too much weight on your spine. 

Hope that helps. 
  • Adam36AAdam36 New South WalesPosts: 9

anxiouspain said:
    Hi Adam,

It's great to hear that your symptoms are getting better. Unfortunately the amount of time it takes to get better is unique to each person. The first time I went through this it took me 3-4 months to get back to normal. For others it can take a lot longer. You have to remember though that a disc injury is a permanent condition and although you can become pain free, it is a lot easier to re-injure the area. 

I would highly recommend you do some research to understand how you can best manage this moving forward, this may come down to doing a few stretches and strengthening exercises daily at first and then a few times a week for the rest of your life. The most important thing is to avoid injuring the area any further as this will make recovery longer each time and further damage the disc.

Once any pain and discomfort is gone, I would still give it a few more months before considering the area to be well healed. Even then, ease back into activities and remember you have a weakness now and should avoid loading too much weight on your spine. 

Hope that helps. 
  • advertisement
  • Adam36AAdam36 New South WalesPosts: 9
    Thanks for your advice anxiouspain☺
Sign In or Join Us to comment.