advertisement
advertisement

Drain fluid pocket after back surgery

I'd like to hear from patients who had to have the post-op fluid removed by suction. How long of time went by causing pain before physically removing?
advertisement

Comments

• MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 78
    If you mean that little drain that is in your back after surgery, I was told that it would remain until the liquid that it collected turned clear.  For me, I think they removed it on the third day.  Of course, I may have lengthened that time because I had a post-surgical delirium the first night and pulled the IV and the tube from that drain out, leaving my bed wet and bloody.
    It took 40 minutes before the nurses came in and put the tube and the IV back in and cleaned up my bed.
  • lawrence1llawrence1 Wilton, NHPosts: 8
    No , I'm asking about the surgical team going in and literally sucking out the fluid pocket, that in my case, is pushing on the sciatic nerve(left side) I'm about 2 months post-op. My only problem that is interfering with full recovery(right leg still weak) is this fluid pocket.
  • advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 2,265
    edited 09/07/2016 - 6:11 AM
    lawrence1
    i don't know if this link is helpful, it comes up when posting what you describe in the search box you may find some member's discussions by searching

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/synovial-cyst-lumbar-spine
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Lawrence

I can't help with your answer... but I'm curious... how did your doctor detect the fluid pocket?    X-ray.. MRI... some other imaging technique?   Can you see in the imaging the impingement on the spinal nerve column the same way you would see a herniated disc?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.