advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery Decision

Hi all. I'm looking for advice.

I'm a 27 year old male that has a herniated disc at L5-S1. Bouts of pain started in October 2015, became severe in February 2016, and numbness started in March 2016. I had two steroid injections to try to reduce the swelling and followed up treatment with a Percutaneous Disc Decompression (PDD) in May 2016. Symptoms continued beyond tolerable levels through August 2016. I have surgery booked for the end of September 2016, but the pain has been negligible the last two weeks despite recent MRI showing 1CM herniation on nerve root.

I'm reticent to have a microdisectomy if the pain barely noticable. Is it advisable to continue with the surgery anyway? I've read a lot about symptoms coming back several months later without intervention.

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 448
    Hi Squiggled!  What I would be wondering, is that perhaps the injections and PDD were effective, only the nerves took their time to 'bounce back'?  I would ask a neurosurgeon what they think on the matter, and go from there.  Good luck!
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,509
    squiggled

welcome to the spine-health forums.

i agree with smartens162, discuss it with your surgeon's office.  you may not talk with the surgeon, but contact the office.

we have had several member discuss this same topic in the last few weeks.  i am beginning to think that there is a sense of calm as the surgery approaches.

please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started welcome to spine-health

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.