advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,480
    Finally, seeing a big difference!!
    This journey has been rough at times, frustrating and depressing. But there is always hope.
    Since my PM doctor increased the meds in my bolus shot (which I can do every 4 hrs.) I am not in so much pain all the time.
    And I'm only using the bolus (so far) only once during the day and at night before I go to sleep. Also sleeping a lot better and feeling better in the mornings.
    Most of the time my pain levels are between 2-4, which I can deal with. I'm always busy doing something but I know my limits. When the pain starts climbing, I back off. At least I'm not stuck laying down all the time like I was for so long.
    I still cannot walk for a long distance but I'm working on that. I'm hoping over time I'll be able too.
    The nerve damage is there and always be. Sometimes I have to deal with shaky hands and fingers and wobbly legs.
    But I'm not in so much pain!!

I am not one to give up on anything and I wasn't going to give up on this. It has taken a lot of work both physically and mentally to get where I am. 
    Thanks to everyone who has supported me through this journey. I originally came to this forum for information on a pain pump. I got that and more than I ever expected from you guys. Between my psychologist and ya'll I try to keep it together :-).

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • HI Sandra
    Gee I needed to read something to lighten the day so this post was good for me. So happy for you and Hubby plus the family and hopefully so many less dark times and so so many days enjoying the family and the gorgeous place you live. 
    I am a dummy but what is the bolus is that the place it goes in and so glad it is not a painful experience. So you are totally on that amount of meds gee when it is put in your body for the pain you were in to drop it to a 2/4 is fantastic. It bypasses the tummy right anyway for the most part heck I need to read up on it instead of bugging you. 
    Anyways great news you hurt long enough at levels no one should have to.
    Have a nice evening.
    Sherri
  • advertisement
    Sherri

The questions are fine, that's how I learned, ask questions!
    The bolus is a remote control device about the size of an old flip phone. I jut lay it on top of the pump, it beeps until I find the right spot and it sends a signal to the pump to shoot extra morphine, .25 mg.
    The meds do not go to your tummy or any other organ, stays in the spinal canal.

Aneita
    It sounds like you are still doing better than you were, at least you are getting up and walking.
    Keep up the good work.
    I still do not like posting how great I feel when all of you are still struggling. But that is part of all of this, to give others hope.

Take care and thanks again for your support.
    Sandra
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 76
    So good to read that you Sandra is getting better and stronger, especially less pain. Yay.  As I stated before, the people on this site are my "Psychy" helpers.  I gritted the honey do list today, but I bore through the pain and completed the tasks.  Now I'm on my recliner with my ice pack on my back waiting for the number to go lower.  I have a PM appointment this afternoon and will see if they will set me up with another RFA or ESI.  Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey Sandra and others as well.

Hoping for a low number to all of you.
    Akira/Chuck
    Sorry for the delay in answering but where we live we have problems with internet and phone, very spotty at times lol.
    Aneita
    Thank you so much for the sweet words, I really appreciate it. Hope you are feeling better by now, how did the RFA go?

Akira
    Thank you so much, I always like hearing how you are doing. How did the RFA go with you too? Like you, I bore through it sometime, telling myself one more minute then I'll stop.

I went to the rheumatologist yesterday but I'm going to discuss this on the sister site, Arthritis-Health. He ran a lot of bloodwork, all of my numbers can back high again. My fingers are very knotty and getting very crooked. I know there isn't anything we can do about that, they just look gnarly!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and thanks so much for all of your support.
    Sandra
  • advertisement

I've got tell the good and the bad news. 
    I get so excited and hopeful when something starts going better, as anyone would. And of course you do more.
    But I've learned my lesson on that a long time ago, I do what I can and am able to do. But with my back you just never know.
    Yesterday afternoon I was sitting down and when I got up the pain shot across my back, my legs got wobbly and burning nerve pain going down both legs. I had to grab the table to keep from falling. After it subsided, I stretched a little and it help. I walked to hubby's shop, told him and just sat there with him.

Last night, we always sit on the porch before we go to bed, I started to get up, the same thing all over again. But he was here to catch me, help me in the house and to bed. My back was hurting so bad. The last time this happened it was another collapsed vertebra. We've always know it will just keep getting worse.

On top of all of that, my legs are swollen from my knees to my toes. And I know what that means. 
    So first thing tomorrow morning I'll call my PM doctor and my heart doctor. And yes, I've had my legs propped up all day. I've tried to walk too but have had to use my walker, feet are killing me.

Here we go again!

Sandra
  • Dear Sandra
    OMG I hate this message you know that and I am in tears yes damn it. You were just starting to enjoy some things I am so sorry you deserve better. You know you came here in horrible pain and then things got better why I bring that up is even during your miserable times you were there for me and so many others a lot don't do that. Your health means so much to a lot of us. 
    I will pray and pray some more and please I am here if you need someone to ----- to about it all.
    This is a time when words just don't cut it so so sorry. Please let us know as soon as you can what the doctor says and how you are will he get you in immediately he better.
    Sherri :(

Thanks Aneita, no more surgeries, odds aren't in my favor at all as it would be so extensive.
    I really don't think it's the pump as this happened before. I've been laying down all day and probably will for a few days to let things die down a bit.

Sherri,
    Thanks so much, didn't mean to upset you so much but would rather say something now than later and be like "guess what".
    Like I said I'm chilling for now. But I will let ya'll know when I find out what's going on.
    Thanks for the prayers, you know me, I'm a big believer in them.

Sandra
  • Hey you no way do you apologize for upsetting me that is what happens when this old ball baby hears some news about someone she cares for. I am so glad you are telling everyone we all want to know for sure. So you just do that "chill" can you sit out and watch the yard that would be nice and I bet with the super husband of yours you can. This has to be so hard for him I cannot imagine but so happy you have him to take care of you. 
    Ok enough you need your rest will be looking to see how you are for sure.
    Yes a prayer for you that you get some rest and peace. 
    Sherri

Aneita

No tv, period. We have none, don't want one. Had 3 nice big ones, gave them to the kids. When we moved here we said lets not turn on tv for a week and enjoy what we have. We live in the woods with a pond, huge yard, no neighbors, down a country road. Our home has windows from the ceiling (vaulted) to the floor with no curtains on any windows. We sit at the dinning room table and watch the fish jump and deer and turkeys. We did not miss tv at all, we have national geographic in our backyard all the time. We had dish turned off except internet. But we enjoy each other's company, sitting on the porch watching mother nature at her finest.

I never get bored as I'm on here when I can and doing other stuff when I can. We have a very simple lifestyle but so happy.

I talked to my PM doctor this morning, told him probably something else moved, broke or shifted and pinched a nerve again. He agreed, there is nothing we can do but let it ease up. Have an appointment Wed. with PT to get exercises to do at home. He talked about more X-rays but why, we can't do anything about it.
    I'm a lot better today but still resting. 

Hope, you mentioned sweet hubby, that he is. When I got up this morning he had 2 loads of laundry going, cooked breakfast and cleaned the kitchen. I am so blessed! But we take care of each other.

Thank you both for the support, really appreciate it.

Sandra
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.