advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• What about Pumpateers???
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443
    Meema, welcome to this discussion!! Evidently you have a pump too. How long have you had one? Please tell us a little history about yourself and also your pump.
    Pumpateers is a good one, anyone else?
    Hope to hear back from you with a story of your journey.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
    Update: I had to go see my PM doctor, had the level in the pump increased 20% again. The rate is now 1.429 mg.
    It is still a small dose but I'm still on fentanyl 25 patch. But this is my last one and instead of wearing it 3 days he told me to wear it 5 days to help slowly get me off. 
    After Friday we will start seeing the result of the morphine working on its own. Then we can start adjusting the levels more accurately.
    The episode (don't know what else to call it) I had last week, we concluded to be nerves. My back had popped real hard and loud a few times the day before. When I got up the next morning it was on. But I walked a lot that day and stretched, easily, (with the advice of a great friend) and by the end of the day I was fine, just tired. 
    Other than that, no surgery pain!!! My granddaughter made me laugh real hard the other day and it got my attention, like "hello" you moved the wrong way, and we had to laugh some more over that.
    I've also been walking outside. I walked down one of the sidewalks going to the deck and started back, not even realizing it goes up, barely. But my stomach muscles knew it!! It was another "hello" moment! But it's a great way to start on my muscles again.
    If this new dose works well enough, I don't go back to the doctor until May 21.
    Thanks to everyone again for all of your support.
    Sandra
  • Hi there memerainbolt, no I don't have a pump, but am interested in following members journeys.  I  am 11 weeks post spinal fusion L4/L5.
    Meema, I had surgery in the same area. How are you doing? 
    I hope the surgery has helped if you were in pain.
    Still, remember you are still healing, be careful.
    Happy Valentine's Day!!

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • memerainbolt happy valentine's day to you. I'm doing ok just taking one day at a time.  Doing well with my physio therapist twice a week and today started back at the gym with my exercise physiologist.  I'm still taking pain meds  (tramadol slow release and then tramadol IM for break through pain and at night Endone) I haven't slept through the night since my accident back in February 2016 so this is starting to take its toll. As for my back since the surgery I don't have the bulging feeling I had and can now lie on my back. It is still pretty tender around the incisions and numb down my spine in between the incisions and I still have constant pain down my legs, and pain from my buttocks down the back of my legs which comes and goes.  My physiologist said I may be left with that as we don't really know the extent of the nerve damage that was done. Unfortunately for me I had to have a second surgery due to infection in one of my incisions and since then have had a hoarse voice. I am seeing a speech therapist who thinks my vocal cords or voice box could have been damaged due to the intubation.  Like I said just one day at a time. 
    You have been through a lot!! But it sounds like you are really working hard to make this even better. And it is hard work.
    After my back surgery  was in the hospital for a week then the rehab floor for a week. Then exercises at home every day for months. And it helped.
    I had surgery on January 19th to have the pump implanted and could hardly talk for days because of my throat. Five weeks later I'm still hoarse and cannot clear my throat. I'll ask my doctor about it Thursday.
    Numbness around incisions are common, most everybody complains about that.
    And nerves waking up!! They are pesty little suckers that don't like to wake up. But when they do, you will pay for it. Feels like fire ants running up and down your legs.
    Keep doing what you're doing, seems like it's working.
    Take care.
    Sandra
  • Thanks memerainbolt for your words of encouragement.  When I was put to sleep with the mask then incubated for the surgery I was on my back. Then moved into the prone position on the table. I was advised by my surgeon that sometimes the tube can move when this is being done. I have been diagnosed with dysphonia  (my vocal cords don't come together) but they aren't sure what has happened below the cords.  Will be interested to find out what your Dr says about yours.  Please keep me posted.  
  • Memerainbolt - sorry to hear you had a gremlin last week, they do appear and cause a little trouble then go to ground!  Really glad the walking shook it off. It is quite amazing the gradients you discover after surgery.  What you imagine to be flat ground can seem like a tough hill.

Fingers crossed for you Thursday with doses and hope you can get support with your throat problem.

Meema - your program sounds progressive and I hope you get improvement with your vocal cords as soon as possible.  I suffer from Laryingitis regularly and sympathise with anybody with throat issues.

You also mention numbness down the back of your leg that comes and goes.  I have been left with permanent numbness in some areas but also have areas that have positional numbness.  I have now learnt which positions cause this and avoid when I can to try to keep the nerve free.  A little tricky at night but as you and I know, the pain and numbness does cause sleep issues. I try to view that as a type of alarm system to tell me to move to free the nerve.

I avoid full stretching on waking and try to position my feet at right angles to my legs rather than pointing my toes if that makes sense.  This extension of the leg seems to reduce the awful cramp/nerve entrapment.  I get my partner to tuck the duvet under the end of the mattress to give a support system to hold my feet during sleep.

I have noticed that when I roll onto my back for relief from other issues, I get more episodes of numbness.  I find that bening my knees up while awake can relieve this or a pillow under the back of my knees can help.  It is easier to put the pillow between knees while laying on your side, then adjust when rolling over, rather than trying to struggle to put one under when on your back.

A few tips I have learnt along the way and hope some will help in a small way.

Good luck with your progress.

Sorry for using your 'Pain Pump journey' Memerainbolt but thinking you will fully understand the support network offered to Meema :-)

AJ
    AJGormit

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
    Meema, I will definitely let you know what my surgeon has to say. They did the same thing with me. He did the stomach surgery first to implant the pump then flipped me over to run the catheter in my spine. But it's funny how we are experiencing the same symptoms.
    But thanks for bringing that up. I don't think I had posted about my throat before.

AJ, I don't mind you using this thread to help anyone with anything. That's what it's for, to open support for someone else. It doesn't have to be all about me lol!! Your wonderful support and advice is always welcome!!
    Sandra
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.