advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post Op from ACDF C5-C6

Hi there im 4 weeks post op, im looking to go back to work asap because im healing great but im trying to find out the do's and don'ts after this surgery, as I install industrial air conditioning and refrigeration and my doctor has said just no strenuous or heavy lifting for a while and now my employer wants to know what i can do and what i can't to fit my needs over a period of time but my consultation with the neurosurgeon was alot different he told me id never be able to do that line of work again like going up ladders and looking uo but PT has helped alot i have no problems moving my head about any more and the surgery was a success any pointers on the do's and don'ts would be great thanks
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    Hello...
    It is too bad your doctors are not agreeing.
    Curious which kind was the first doctor that you mentioned who said no strenuous activity..for awhile?

I would definitely want answers before starting up work again. My tendency would be to think your NS would know best.
    You sure don't want to mess up his work..and your life by needing repeated surgery or such.

I am glad your PT is going well and the ROM is good with your neck.
    But even that will not match up to the kind of strain of doing it full time back at work.
    And to take into consideration how you might end up in some contorted positions by virtue of your strenuous work.

It seems your current employer is trying to be accommodating. Are there desk jobs available?...or other managerial where you can supervise the work of others? I dunno...just throwing things out there...

I don't know how things are in Ireland, but seems you may qualify for a type of vocation rehab...where they try to match you with what you like to do and what you're able to do.

Many of us have had to "reinvent" ourselves according to our body's demands. That doesn't make it easier for you, and may be small comfort, but please know, you're not alone!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,509
    Jamie

I am sorry that I didn't see this earlier, thanks to Savage for finding it and bringing it current.

The answer to your question really is, it depends.  You should really move slowly toward lifting, build up the muscles again.  I don't know what the risks are as far as damaging the work that the surgeon did, but I do know that it took about 9 months for me to feel really comfortable with pulling, pushing and lifting.  If I over did it, I would feel it the next day and for a week or so after.  My theory is that this has a lot to do with healing nerves, but I don't actually know that.

I was up on my roof doing work a few weeks ago, no problem - but this is 10 months post surgery.

My ROM is pretty good.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Lefty4562LLefty4562 Huntington, WVPosts: 19
    I have the same question. I am almost 6 weeks post op on ACDF C4/5 disk replacement and fusion. I am feeling good and think everything is going well. The nurse and doc said I can ditch the hard collar. I am just wondering what I can do in terms of every day activities. Can I wash the car, mow the lawn, etc. I have taken it easy and not exerted myself at all for the past 5 weeks. As little bending, picking up items as I could get away with. Any thoughts from anyone out there?
    Lefty

When I was 6 weeks, and for months after, it was trial and error.  Try things, see how they go for your body.  I suspect that mowing isn't a good idea, the pushing and pulling will probably hurt later.  You probably shouldn't was your car, but you should wash mine, it needs it - but seriously, give it a try, take it slowly wash like you just had surgery.  Carry the groceries in, see how one bag feels, then two...

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

Thanks Bruce! I appreciate the input.

• advertisement
    Lefty, so when will you be over to wash my car?  :)

Bruce

I am booked until the first week of November. LOL!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.