advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

ACD Arthroplasty resulting in ACDF

Hi All,
I had an ACD Arthroplasty on C5/6 on Apr 26, 2016. The recovery did not go well, and my symptoms became worse. X-rays showed abnormal angulation and movement of the artificial disc, so I was scheduled to have it removed. I had an ACDF on Aug 26, 2016. The surgeon told me that the disc was defective. The abnormal angulation was because the center piece had became dislodged and was preventing the correct movement and placement of the disc. He also stated  that C5/6 were completely unstable because of this. I am so thankful that I had not gotten into a car accident during the period of instability. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. When I asked the surgeon how many times he has seen this happen, he said never. 
Thanks,
Tonya
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks so much, Kimmy72
  • One more question for everyone. I know that the success and timeline of fusion is different for everyone, but I am concerned about work requirements. I am in the Navy, and my job requires going on ships to inspect and run drills. After my first surgery, I went right back on the ships after 30 days. It did cause a lot of extra pain, but nothing I couldn't handle. After this fusion, I am scheduled for two underway periods. The first is at 7 weeks and the second is at 10 weeks. The smaller Naval ships can be rocky and falling is a possibility. That is how I initially injured myself. Also, sometimes, we have to meet the ships at sea. This requires riding in a small boat and climbing up a rope ladder. I will discuss this with my NS at my next follow up....but I was wondering if anyone on here had an idea of limitations.  
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.