advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Brachial Neuritis Vs Herniated Discs??

maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 320
edited 09/13/2016 - 4:09 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I saw a pain management dr last week for disc herniations in my neck at C5/C6. I have pain from the base of my skull, down into my upper back, across my shoulder blades, and down into my upper arms. I got a letter from their office that says Todays Diagnosis: Radiculopathy, cervical region. Other cervical disc displacement, unsp cervical region. Problem List: Displacement of cervical intervertebral disc without myelopathy. Brachial neuritis.

I have read the articles on Brachial Neuritis and I am confused. They say that an MRI should be done to rule out disc herniation as the cause of the pain. I had an MRI, which clearly shows disc herniations.

Has anyone else been told they have this? I am seeing a Neurosurgeon next week and will discuss it with him.

advertisement

Comments

• maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 320
    Thanks!!
    I sent the office a message through their patient portal asking about this. We'll see what they say!
  • advertisement

Ok, so her response was totally not helpful! She just said "you are being treated for cervical displacement (herniation) with radiculopathy."

I sent a message back asking why that was mentioned then...

Ok, I'm a little aggravated! I got a response back from her that basically said, I don't know, the form entered that. I don't have time built into my schedule to answer these type of questions. Ask at your follow up appointment.

Why even have the option to submit questions on the portal if they don't have time to answer them?!

edited 09/14/2016 - 4:00 PM

And now I just got a letter from them with another patients appointment information which lists her name and all her medications! Maybe I am not too happy with this place. I have only had 1 visit so far and they are supposed to do a steroid injection in my neck next Friday. Hmm.....

Sorry, I kind of turned this thread into a tangent about my pain management doctors office!

• advertisement
  • Yeah, I had a similar experience with a neurology clinic. The information they provided was minimal, it would take days to get a response from them, and often times they contradicted myself. They did blood tests early on and the lady told me I would get the results that afternoon and to call. So I called and the lady I talked to said results wouldn't be available for 24 hours and they would call me. Well 2 days passed and I got no call so I called again, and the person I spoke to this time rather rudely told me it takes a week to get those results and they would call, but not to call them, completely contradicting the first 2 people I talked too.

A week came and went and it took about another 3 days before I finally got the results. When I tried to ask questions about the results the guy basically just told me he can only give me the results and he's not the physician so he can't answer any questions. When I asked if I could speak to her he basically said I'd need to make an appointment. So I called to make an appointment and it turns out the neurologist they originally scheduled me with was either on vacation or working hospital rounds for the next month. So I asked if I could see someone else and they basically refused, saying once they assign a doctor to me they will not switch. So I asked why they assigned me to someone who was going to be unavailable for over a month shortly after just the first appointment. Of course they had no good answer.

On top of that, whenever I was there, either to see the doctor or for a lab appointment, I would have to sit in the waiting room a good half hour past my appointment time before I finally got in. Now other clinics I go to I usually get in on time or the wait is maybe 5 minutes or so past the appointment time. This place I went to twice and both times I was sitting out there over a half hour past my appointment time. Many of the times I spoke with them they were either rude or dismissive and they pretty much never got back to me within the timeframe they said they would and it was always just a messenger who couldn't answer any questions.

Needless to say I ditched this place. Heck, even their patient portal site was disfunctional and useless. Many parts of the portal site didn't even work. For a speciality clinic focused on something complex like neurology I have to say this place was not run well at all.
    So I saw the Neurosurgeon yesterday who was confused by the mention of Brachial Neuritis as well, especially since I have never been specifically diagnosed with it. She said to ask the pain management office to remove it from my records.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.