advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Violent Back Spasms 3 Weeks after Laminectomy/Discectomy

Hello,

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago today. Immediately after, I had no pain whatsoever aside from stiffness in my hip. 

A week after that I started getting sore in my back and sciatic pain (different from the original).

The muscular back pain has started to subside, but now I am left with extreme back spasms in the morning. I always feel fine immediately when I get up and within about 5 minutes I get back spasms that knock tye wind out of me amd almost take my legs out.

Has this happened to anyone? I don't even care abiut wether I reherniated or not at this point. At least I could manage that. 

I'm supposed to go back to work in a couple weeks and if I don't get better,  there's no way this is going to happen...

advertisement

Comments

• AMWoodyAMWoody SurreyPosts: 107
    I had horrible pains on movement for quite some time. it is all normal..... Work that soon ? I am 5 months in and only just returned..Take care
  • ShivayaSShivaya Quebec, CanadaPosts: 35
    edited 09/16/2016 - 3:32 PM

AMWoody said:

I am 5 months in and only just returned.

Didn't you get a fusion though? It was my understanding that it has much more serious implications than a discectomy...
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 448
    At 3 weeks, you are still early in the recovery, so almost everything is considered 'normal'.  Scary and frustrating, I know!  Have you been walking daily?  The walking is so important in recovery, to give your muscles something to do other than spasm, get the blood flow to the surgical site, keep scar tissue from 'sticking'.  You are not allowed to do much post discectomy, but the walking is absolutely necessary!

At 3 weeks, you are still early in the recovery, so almost everything is considered 'normal'.  Scary and frustrating, I know!  Have you been walking daily?  The walking is so important in recovery, to give your muscles something to do other than spasm, get the blood flow to the surgical site, keep scar tissue from 'sticking'.  You are not allowed to do much post discectomy, but the walking is absolutely necessary!

I would be lying if I told you I think I've been walkong enough. I was feeling fantastic after surgery, but I got lazy and stayed in bed for the first week.

On day 8 I picked up dog poop in the back yard and that's when my problems started. Basically I think I let my muscles atrophy and then over did it.

Now I'm spending most of the day on my back because it's so painful to "get going"  that I have a hard time doing anything else than lying on the floor and "trying not to die" (which is the answer I give my girlfriend when she asks me what I'm up to).

I'm also probably not taking as much pain killers as I should because I'm frustrated that I need them in the first place.

At this point,  I don't even think I could walk across the street. My leg pain is 0% keepong me from doing anything.  It's my back that's killing me.

I can tell you that from my personal experience, 99.9% of the time my back feels better after I've walked for a half hour.  Sometimes I can barely move, or am super exhausted and worn out from the day, but if I can just get my butt out the door, I know it'll pay off.  You might even be battling some post-surgery depression that's keeping you un-motivated.  But surgery was just the beginning of the fight back to quality of life - don't give up now, don't let it be for naught by not following through!  You can do this :)
  • advertisement

I can tell you that from my personal experience, 99.9% of the time my back feels better after I've walked for a half hour.  Sometimes I can barely move, or am super exhausted and worn out from the day, but if I can just get my butt out the door, I know it'll pay off.  You might even be battling some post-surgery depression that's keeping you un-motivated.  But surgery was just the beginning of the fight back to quality of life - don't give up now, don't let it be for naught by not following through!  You can do this :)

Thanks for the kind words  :)

Did you take painkillers before your exercise in the early days? Because I don't see myself being able to go for a walk without having to take at least ibuprofen at this point. I'm trying to not get addicted to narcotics opiates or benzos at thia point...
    I was on several prescriptions at the time of my surgery, mostly to deal with the severe nerve pain.  I started walking Day 2 post-op.  I was pretty excited to get walking, as I used to do it alot for exercise, and then couldn't for 9 months with my ruptured disc.  It was slow and not very comfortable to start, but things improved over a few weeks to where I was very comfortable with it.  My nerve pain did not go away instantly from surgery, so I stayed on prescriptions for a few months after.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is: it's going to be uncomfortable to start, but it doesn't mean you're doing harm to yourself.  I don't know if you recall ever starting a new exercise program or working hard at something and feeling really sore from it afterwards, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It is the muscles that have not been used for a long time learning a new thing.  It does get easier after awhile.  But you have to start :)
  • AMWoodyAMWoody SurreyPosts: 107
    No I had a Discectomy.... I am just at the 5 month point....
    1 month post op today!

I'm seeing some progress for sure. I am still very stiff in my lower back (it's very hard to put socks/shoes on) and I have a burning pain in my calf that comes and goes - which wasn't there before the surgery, but the spasms are gone!

I have better days and worse days, but overall I am definitely getting better.

My back feels stiff especially at the incision site. It feels hard and swollen. Anyonr experience that amount of stiffness? 
  • SpartySSparty ArizonaPosts: 159
    Hi Shivaya,
    I am at 2 week post op!  Today I walked a total of 4.5 miles.  I'm really proud of that! 
    I get an ache in my calf that was not there before.  More of any annoyance but as you know we analyze any pain at this point :).  The incision area is still really sore.  
    Awesome to hear you are getting better!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.