advertisement
advertisement

Surgery or not

MRI showed spinal stenosis and I'm having hard time walking my left leg feels like a ton and my left hip isn't moving smoothly. Pain and lack of mobility so I had to give up my dog and soon my football. 

Should I go for surgery or not? My doc said I've got severe spinal stenosis but it's my decision and need feedback. I'm 33 good shape. 
advertisement

Comments

• Thanx for the reply. I guess I want to hear successful stories regarding surgery since I dont know anyone who've done it. Yes Im almost limp on the left side so I guess its time to make it happen. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    Ostrich

Where is your stenosis?
  • advertisement
  • OstrichOstrich SwedenPosts: 8
    L5-S1  
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 754
    Hi Ostrich
    I had a large herniation at L5S1 which caused severe spinal stenosis. I had terrible sciatic nerve pain. I ended up having a microdiscectomy this past June. All of my pain is gone. So far, I am glad I had it done.
    Ellen 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    I figured that Ellen would jump in if we knew where the stenosis is.  She is great that way!
  • advertisement
    Thank you for your input I'm going surgery within 2 months I'll update later on :smiley:" alt=":smiley:" height="20" /> 
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 754
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Also, one word of advice: (ok, 3 words) TAKE IT EASY! After surgery you are going to want to go back to normal as soon as possible. Take your time.
    Ellen 
  • I have always read or heard that surgery is the last option and you have it when the pain hinders your daily activity. I took that to mean seriously hinder your activity. I have gotten where I cannot go into a store and sometimes not walk a hundred feet or so. It does come and go but it comes much more frequently now.

I now feel I can wait no longer. I hope to have the coflex apparatus soon. 
  • carolet34ccarolet34 Hillsborough, New JerseyPosts: 2
    I would definitely do surgery. Your too young to be in such pain. Get it fixed and you'll be pain free. 
    edited 12/20/2016 - 1:30 PM
    Update. 

Surgery completed November 15th decompression but they found a fracture on the facet joint(?) so I got a fusion ~ L3-L4. 

No pain at all in my left leg but I have some issues with my right kneecap but I think its nerve related and hopefully it will go away.. My doctor told me no soccer or gym until 10-12 months post op for maximum recovery of surgery. 

Next surgery 2 months away for my sleep apnea :cold_sweat:" alt=":cold_sweat:" height="20" /> 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.