advertisement
advertisement

3 fusions

I have had two fusions (Level 3/4 and 6/7).  I now have a ruptured disc at C5.  I am so worried about having three levels fused and worry what it will do to my mobility.  I am a secretary and cannot afford not to work.  I was just wondering if any of you have been in my shoes and wondered what you have done. Don't know how much more of the nerve pain I can take.  Should I get a 2nd opinion?  My doctor said to hold out as long as I can take the pain.  It's been three months and I am at my wit's end.  Recovery would be 8-12 weeks.  Is that what you've experienced?  I know my health is important but I can't lose my job.  My quality of life is next to nothing.
advertisement

Comments

• sherryevssherryev Tennessee Posts: 6
    Libbyanne, I am 14 days post op from a level 3 cervical fusion. I was in severe pain for almost a year also work in the clerical field. The pain in my right arm and shoulder was horrible. I would sleep only about an hour at a time every night since December of last year. Needless to say I was exhausted. I can't take the pain no longer so I sought out as many opinions as I could get. After seeing eight neurosurgeons and getting the same diagnosis for surgery I finally found one that I was comfortable to let before my surgery. I was very scared nervous and of course didn't know what to expect afterwards. Immediately after I woke up from surgery I had no pain in my right arm. I'm still a long way from being fully recovered but I would do the surgery again. I still have pain in my shoulder and neck from before the surgery. And of course now I have pain from the surgery. But it is not as bad as before I had surgery. The swallowing issues are still there but are getting better everyday. For me I believe that this surgery has been a success so far and I believe you will have less pain after the surgery.
  • LibbyAnneLLibbyAnne Alabama Posts: 5
    Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.  Hope you continue to feel better.
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    libbyanne

you might want to read bruce
    - my story
    , i have had two surgeries that total a three level cervical fusion.

the recovery should be like your last surgeries.  the question to ask your surgeon is how soon before you can return to work - and of course include a description of the kind of work that you do.

you should also discuss the other disc between your previous fusions.  what will happen to it after these fusions.

• LibbyAnneLLibbyAnne Alabama Posts: 5
    Thank you, Bruce.  I'm going to read your story now.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.