advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discomfort at Left Side of Spine, at the Thoracic Area

Hello everybody,

I am a 22 year old male. Until a month ago, I used to work out every day of the week. Sometimes twice a day (cardio in the morning, weights in the afternoon).

About 9 months ago, I did something wrong in the gym while I was lifting weights (I believe I was doing heavy bar curls) and I felt a burn in between my shoulder blades. I immediately stopped working out, stretched and went home. After this accident, my back started getting locked up for no reason for about 45 to 50 seconds. When I flexed my left lateral muscle, the pain would subside.

I got worried about it, so I got myself checked out to a good doctor. He took X-Rays, and told me that I had degenerative disc disease in my Thoracic area. He made me get an MRI to make sure. The result of the MRI showed that I had DDD.

About three weeks after the accident, my back stopped getting locked up. I started working out again, and did so for the next eight months. My workouts during this period were pretty heavy (loaded with supersets, dropsets) and I didn't really experience any major discomfort.

About a month ago, I moved to another country. The move-in process of my house was tiring, I had to carry a few things around. I believe I worsened something, as my discomfort significantly increased. For about a week, I had trouble standing up for more than an hour. I still cannot stand up still for too long, I feel like I have to walk.

Right now, I don't have any major pain. I have discomfort. I feel the discomfort more in the days that I work on the desk with my laptop. Sometimes the area between my shoulder blades feels numb, or as if it's slightly burning. Other than that, I have a dry back feeling most of the time. It's annoying, but not painful. I sometimes find myself unintentionally stretching my thoracic area by leaning back while facing front.

I have been to a chiropractor and showed him my X-Rays. He told me that I indeed seem to have DDD in my Thoracic area. After examining me, he told me that my back muscles were incredibly tight, and had me lie on the chiro seat. He did some adjustments to my Thoracic area, and applied pressure. After questioning me about how much pain I have at certain points under pressure, he told me that my pain threshold is really high. He told me to use the foam roller twice a day for five minutes. In my next appointment, he did an adjustment to my neck. Two days later I started having incredible pain coming from one central area in my neck. I called his office and he told me that it was an inflammation in my neck as I am not used to the adjustments. The pain lasted for about a week, but disappeared. Obviously after this incident I stopped going to this chiropractor.

Now, my problem is that the area that hurts in my back when I touch is at the level of my shoulder blade, within in my lateral muscle, under my armpit. The pain comes from inside of the lat muscle. When I lay on my left side, and lean on the area with the foam roller I feel a lot of pain.

Is there anyone that shares the same symptoms as me?

What can I do to improve my condition?

I want to start working out again. I need to and want to find a way to keep my body fit and conditioned, even with DDD. Not being able to work out is really messing with my mental health. 

I have been lurking on this site for long enough to ditch my topic. If you have any opinion, PLEASE share it with me and others who may see your post.

Thank you for reading.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,264
    hello arda !

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Sign In or Join Us to comment.