advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Update on surgery and seeking experiences post microdiscectomy,

bfp84bbfp84 Posts: 7
edited 09/30/2016 - 6:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello again,

It's been a while since my last post. I did go ahead with the surgery in January of this year for a herniated disc in my lower back (L4/L5). I lost all feeling below my left knee post surgery, however the pain in my bum and down the top part of my leg seemed to have gone. Feeling began to return to my lower leg and foot over the coming weeks, all bar my middles toes and I was quite happy with this.

A few months after surgery I started getting the same pain in my bum and down my leg as I had previously experienced amd at times total loss of sensation in my left foot, upon returning to the doctors I was referred for an MRI and given the usual pain medication (Tramadol & Gabapentin).

Not long after this I fell at work, hitting my head which caused a grand mal seizure, I don't recall the exact events but I do remember weakness in my ankle the morning of that day. Due to this and the fact I was in constant pain I had to take some time off work which lead to the realisation I would not be able to afford my accommodation and bills if I should need anymore time off. With this in mind I decided to move back to another part of the country with family which would ease the financial trouble and also provide some support.

Upon moving back I re-registered with my life-long GP who had some understanding of my younger years. I'll explain this the best I can, I am 31 years old and when I was 15 my appendix burst, resulting in peritonitis, this required surgery, I also required two further operations to separate adhesions. I struggled with this for a number of years on and off with some hospital visits due to not being able to keep fluid down and some spells where I was able to stay at home until the blockage sorted itself out.

I've had these back problems for just over two years now I guess and upon returning to my family doctor he is threatening to stop my medication as they "are horrible drugs and just null your mind" he also went on to ask if I was suicidal and said I was "one of those people who get depressed by pain" finally he told me that the pain is all in my head which upset me and made me quite angry.

I actually went for my MRI yesterday which made me think of this site again to see if there is any surgical need (I wouldn't really want surgery again tbh) or if I am referred to the pain clinic. I'm not entirely sure what the later option means, I assume it would just be a continuation of medication from a source that isn't so unwilling to prescribe despite my medication being on repeat prescription.

I have explained to him that I get no high from the medication, it simply keeps my pain at a tolerable level in order for me to just do the basics throughout the day.

This is not a pity post, so hope it does not read as one and I am genuinely interested in people's experiences post surgery who are still facing issues and options presented to them in light of not really wanting surgery again. Hopefully it'll shed some light on my options as I don't see more surgery or life long medication as ideal situations.

Thanks.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.