advertisement
advertisement

Success Stories? Lumbar Degeneration Sciatica, Groin & Buttocks Burning Pain. (How'd you deal?)

jaimarecjaimarec Posts: 6
edited 10/02/2016 - 12:25 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi all-- I'm sorry if this has been brought up before on this forum, to which I am new. I am wondering if you have deal with the following symptoms (any), and if so, how have you dealt with them? How did you go about getting relief? A little info on me after the bullet points, if you choose to take a look. I hope that my post can speak to other's struggles as well. Thank you!

Symptoms:
  • Worst pain (feels like severe burning, radiating, itchy and incredibly sensitive  when pushed on) in hip down through buttocks to what seems to be gluteus medius, tensor fasciae latae, and where outer piriformis intersect, primarily on right side but switches often to left side as well. This sensation seems to almost swivel to groin area depending on how I move my body (especially if leaning forward over table, sitting)
  • Sciatica from inner gluteus/piriformis seeming to originate from sacrum, radiating down to knee, numbing down both right leg and left leg
  • Pain moves from right to left but primarily right side and is never on one side but can move from one side to another in the same day, usually between periods of relief.
  • Unusual instances of numbing along left side of body after apply EITHER intense heat or ice to back at hip regions explained above and also near lower back/ sacrum. General numbing with intolerably intense burning pain at hip, buttocks and radiating pain down side of leg at or near IT band, but primarily in sciatic nerve
What makes it better?: inversion table, massage, pilates, being in pool—but all temporary pain relief. Being active for short periods of time and not sitting or standing in one place for too long

What makes it worse? Standing/sitting in one place for too long; too much heat or ice for too long; long walks (sciatic pain).. 

A little background on me and procedures undergone:

My name's A.J. I just turned 27. I am from Jursey! and I am an eCommerce Director in New York city who has had to take my employer's short term disability offer as a result of the aforementioened pain. Hi!

List of procedures undergone:
  • September 2014  L4-L5 Laminectomy Discectomy (Hospital [edit]
  • Reherniation of disk May 2015
  • Additional hernation at L5-S1
  • L4-L5 herniation resorbs some time around January 2016
  • Additional hernation at L5-S1
  • Reherniation of L4-L5 soon thereafter
  • Tons of Physical Therapy
  • Epidural Spinal Nerve Block at L5-S1 (09/08/15)
  • Epidural Spinal Nerve Block at L5-S1 (09/25/15)
  • Epidural Spinal Nerve Block at L5-S1 (10/08/15)
  • Diagnostic EMG nerve conduction study revealing no radiculopathy
  • Right side L3, L4, L5 medial branch block failed to to have relief from procedure (05/24/16)
  • 3 months of conservative treatment — Muscle  relaxant medicaton, physical therapy, oral anti inflammatories,  with no persistent relief
  • right sided si joint lidocaine injection and anti-inflammatory betamethasone steroid. (06/24/16)
  • Caudal Epidural Steroid Injection [edit] Physiatrist (Summer 2016)
  • Disk space had shrunk by half, initial spinal surgeon revisit, refers me to [edit] Physiatrist, [edit] (Summer 2016)
  • Epidural Spinal Steroid Injection L5-S1, L4-L5, no relief, [edit] Physiatrist to determine whether or not proceed with PRP injections (Late Summer 2016)
  • Scheduled for PRP on October 10, 2016

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator to remove names of medical facilities

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 2,265
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello a.j.

please click on this link for useful information

Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 688
    Sounds like you're on the right track with constant surgeries and procedures. Have  you tried any rhizotomys or spinal cord stimulators? I have had many nerve blocks, steroid injections, and rhizotomys. I am scheduled to try an SCS on oct 14. L4/L5 problems since 2001 when I had surgery there. Doc wanted to fuse a couple of years later but I said no, I was so into my career. I had fusion and artif. disc replacement on cervical discs in 2012 and 2013. Pain has not gone away but the surgeries did get me vertical. I have bulging discs from head to sacrum. 
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Liz!

• jimandjr said:
    Sounds like you're on the right track with constant surgeries and procedures. Have  you tried any rhizotomys or spinal cord stimulators? I have had many nerve blocks, steroid injections, and rhizotomys. I am scheduled to try an SCS on oct 14. L4/L5 problems since 2001 when I had surgery there. Doc wanted to fuse a couple of years later but I said no, I was so into my career. I had fusion and artif. disc replacement on cervical discs in 2012 and 2013. Pain has not gone away but the surgeries did get me vertical. I have bulging discs from head to sacrum. 
    I have not tried  rhizotomys or spinal cord stimulator. I've heard of them! Have you heard of success stories with those procedures?
  • I think I saw somewhere on this board post about their success with either rhizotomys or spinal cord stimulators.. I just had PRP low back intradiscal injections.. I'm recovering now. So far so good..
  • advertisement
  • sbmarchukssbmarchuk MichiganPosts: 1
    I have constant pain in backside around coccyx and radiating to sacrum. It's the most unbelievable unrelenting burning pain if touched. It happened as a result of a reaction to medicine in my IT pump. Anyways it caused this so they removed that medicine and put something else in which has made a huge difference. Considering a Medtronic itrathecal pain pump could completely change your life. It sounds like what you have wrong is CRPS/RSD.  Basically any time you have something putting pressure on the cord whether it's a lesion from ms or Transverse Myelitis or a bulging disc or a severed cord can cause this problem and what happens is the pain switch gets left in the on position. For me the pump helps a ton however I also use something called a waffle mattress by EHOB.  It is an air mattress that has holes in it tha makes it look like a waffle. When I sit on it and sleep on the overlay mattress it keeps me in much less pain. Both things work well together. And now if I use the seat cushion and mattress I can sit and sleep without feeling tortured
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.