advertisement
advertisement

Been in pain for a week, can someone help me understand what's going on?

Hi, I'm Justin and I'm a male in my early 20's. So I work a very physical job and my back had been getting really sore for the past month. On my day off, a friend gave me a good massage and then helped me stretch my hip and I heard a pop in my lower back. I didn't feel anything for a couple days, but my back kept feeling more and more sore over my weekend. Over the course of a couple days I performed some back stretches to help with my back, but to be honest it kind of felt like it was doing more harm than good. It felt good doing them in the moment, but later I would feel more sore, but I can't be sure if that was the cause of my pain. When it was time to go back to work, I was getting acute, shooting pains so bad that I couldn't sleep for work.

It's been a week since then and it still hurts really bad when I try lifting boxes and bending over. Although it doesn't hurt if I stay off my back. I can feel a discomfort in my lower back as if a disk is off or something and my mid back can flare up after working to the point where I get shooting pain all over my body. My foot had also went numb as I walked around and carried out my duties at work, but is fine now. I had to leave work and see a doctor the pain was so bad. I had an MRI taken and the doctor said the only thing that came up was that a disk looked a little wonky. He said imy back should be healing on it's own and feeling better, but I don't feel much of a difference in pain after the first week. I have been taking Advil ever since. I also iced my back 4-5 times a day for 4 days and have since been using just heat.

Most people say that I'll probably be okay in 2-3 weeks and nothing bad is really going to come of this. Although, my mother says that I'm going to be stuck with this pain for the rest of my life. My question is: what does this sound like to you all? Does it sound like something that'll go away soon? And what type of damage do you think happened? Lastly, what can I do for my health and to reduce the pain? I plan to see a physical therapist per my doctor's recommendation and hopefully a chiropractor aswell.

I appreciate any input you guys have on this topic and thank you all in advance. 
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Guardian.
    Definately keep close touch with your Primary Care about this
    Ask questions..its always better to be sure than wonder.

Please click the Welcom message below to get More info on Spine Health
    Welcome!
  • Will do, thanks for the advice man.
  • advertisement
  • Your gonna be yiue best advocate.
    Your health should come first.
    The end game is to be as healthy as you can for as long as you can..that way when your hair is silver..youll not be as worn out as. Some of us late learners.

Pain can be managed as well as injuries by doing the right things to protect your health.
    This is going to be the diagnostic part.

Lets find,out first what happened
    Where it is
    Why it happend
    How to mitigate the injury.

This will be either an ordeal, or a learning time.
    Attitude can and does determine outcome.

Its gametime and getting ready for it means having your head in the right place.

Stay positive!
  • Thanks man, I've been doing my best to stay positive. What do you think happened to my back? Does it sound like more of a muscle strain to you? I don't feel like the doctor the I got cares much about my situation and I was hoping for some other opinions on the matter.
  • Sadly, opinions and personal experience is all we can offer here on Spine-Health.
    Years of heavy lifting at work and weight training have shown me its easy to lift even a relatively light weight and tweek iit
    Its better for a diagnosis from a trained professional so no misunderstandings happen.

One thing though..continuing heavy lifting after injury doesnt help.
    Not nessesarily re injuring..but possibly aggravating and not letting it heal.
    There are many things that can happen to the spine..i reinjured mine to the point that its in constant pain..because i didnt slow down.

Money is money and sometimes the work wont wait..but there is a point of diminished returns.

Your health is no.1

• advertisement
  • I wont, man. But I was curious what would you guys recommend I do at home to help heal it, because my mid back sometimes feels like its on tacs when I lay on my back. I get shooting pains all over my body and a specific point in my lower spine feels funny/uncomfortable. I only ask because it's taking me a long time to get help from professionals. The earliest I could get a psychiatrist appointment is in 2 weeks which will then be a month after the injury. I'm just kinda scared that by then it will be irreversable and I'm wasting valuable time to heal my back. Any advice is greatly appriciated appreciated.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.