advertisement
advertisement

surgery the only option?

BellacatBBellacat CAPosts: 4
edited 10/03/2016 - 4:07 PM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been diagnosed with grade 1 degenerative spondylolisthesis and a surgeon recommended a laminectomy and spinal fusion. I have intermittent sciatic pain with tingling and occasional foot numbness. The MRI shows severe spinal stenosis at L4-5. Is surgery the only option?
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,299
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello bellcat !
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forumplease click on link for helpful information!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,299
    Hello....
    Your doctors are the best to advise you as they are aware of your spinal issues and overall well being.
    For more information for what may be ahead of you, please use the search, upper right on page.

You may be led to current or older discussions.
    You may be led to the medical side with articles and videos with much information!
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    Bellcat

To extend what Savage said, your doctor can discuss alternative methods with you.  Since he is aware of your actual situation, and we are not, he is the best person to provide you with options.
  • I have a second opinion scheduled for 11/14. I will have more questions for this doctor.
  • Okay. I had a second opinion. I have been going to the gym 2 x week, bicycling, walking (up to 3-5 miles) and have experienced fewer symptoms lately - mostly right leg tingling when and after sitting down. This doctor didn't think surgery was warranted at this time because my symptoms have abated, which I think (and hope) is due to my increased fitness. I just turned 69 and, although I likely have had spondy and stenosis for years, just had symptoms appear within the past 6 months. Hoping that staying fit will keep surgery at bay. Whew!
  • advertisement
  • jackiek29jjackiek29 Columbus,OHPosts: 18
    Bellacat, that's good news! I hope your symptoms go away!!
  • ecareyableeecareyable PhiladelphiaPosts: 24
    I have the same diagnosis and it was opinioned that lamenectimy discectomy and spinal fusion was my option. I am going for another consult. When I think its starting to get better
  • I canceled my surgery, originally scheduled for Jan 11, 2017. I stretch and exercise daily and my symptoms have diminished, thank God. I still have to be very careful not to twist, bend or lift anything heavy but so far, I have dodged the bullet. I do take turmeric and Vitamin D daily and Tylenol in the am and Aleve in the pm for pain. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.