advertisement
advertisement

Throat Pain following ACDF fusion surgery

I had a multi-level fusion surgery (ACDF) 3 months ago at the C6/C5/C4 level.  I consider it successful, and the recovery has been very close to what the surgeon told me to expect (quite remarkable, actually). I talked to the nurse today about some lingering shoulder pain and forgot to ask about residual throat pain.  I had the expected sore throat and hoarseness for about a week following the surgery.  They push your throat around during the surgery, and I guess intubation can be irritating, too. Now 3 months out I still have a mild sensation of pressure right over my adam's apple area.  It is a little tender when touched, bumped, or pressed.  It isn't severe, but I'm wondering if other people have experienced this at this point in time?  Ironically, I never had a stitch of pain at the actual incision site (pun intended)!

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 3,491
    Hello...
    While you are waiting for responses from members with shared experiences, you may benefit from using search, upper right on page.
    Typing in your concern(s) may lead you to current or older discussions that will help you with your question.
    You may also be led to the medical side with articles and videos. Very informative!

• The only imaging I had was an x-ray to make sure the plate and screws were okay - they were great.  The pressure is very close to the surface, not deep into my neck.  I think there is still some mild inflammation, but I will not let it go too long without attention.  Thanks  for responding.
  • advertisement
  • nutcase007 Thanks for helping me set my expectations. The discomfort really is minor compared to my pre-surgery pain. Understandably, I have little doubts at times that the surgery success might turn into a failure at some point. It's hard to draw the line between being over-concerned about every little twinge and ignoring signs of issues that should be addressed. Story of my life.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.