advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herinated Disc Issues

Hi. I'm 20 years old about to be 21. I found out I had a herniated disc last year I think. I was referred to a neurosurgeon then, but I never went back because I didn't have insurance so I never went.

I think I actually hurt my back when I was 17/18 by lifting wrong, but had no problems until I was 19. I gained about 70 pounds since I was 17. One day about a year ago or so, I was sitting outside talking to an old friend for a couple hours and my back started hurting. It started hurting more and more as the day went on. It got to the point where I couldn't stand up or even sit up, so my family called the ambulance and I went to the hospital. I was released from the hospital for "back pain" (yeah, the ER is never helpful). I was able to walk again, but the left side of my left leg was numb like it was asleep. I went to the Dr got an MRI and determined it was a herniated disc, but he prescribed tramadol, tizadine?(muscle relaxer), and 800mg Ibuprofen. It didn't help the pain, but months go by and the numbness went away. I'm not very active on a daily basis like I should. When I'm not active, my back doesn't bother me. Days like today, I've been trying to clean my room, but I have to take a break every 15-20mins to rest my back because it starts to hurt. My back, hips, and legs start hurting. I started cleaning yesterday, but I'm not done yet. I might finish tomorrow hopefully. So 3 days to clean just one room. :(

My Medicare begins in December and I'm going to see the doctor again.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any tips to keep the pain down until then. It's quite a nuisance to do anything.

I know that if I lose a lot of weight it would help. I really don't want surgery. I think if I lose weight I will feel better, but it's hard to be active with this. I'm 200 lbs right now, I want to get back down to 120. I'm 5'3.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello linnadinna !

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    Hello...
    Did your doctor give you any restrictions or limitations on your activities?
    I remember when my spinal issues first showed themselves, I would obey treatments, feel better, and resume same ole activities.

Finally doctor stressed to me where I really heard it.......no more bending, lifting, twisting..ever again! 
    It's amazing how helpful that bit advice was..and is!
    Is it possible you are overdoing it with cleaning your room?

For myself, I try to keep myself aligned as much as possible always...when sitting, standing, walking, even in bed.
    Sometimes pillows under my knees or between my legs if on my side, is helpful

Funny, even doing grocery shopping, I stand in front and I pull the cart.
    I walk with a cane and stand more upright...not leaning on the push bar.
    For me, even a slight twist when trying to turn a corner down an aisle can stop me in my tracks ...for I don't know how long.

We do have a forum re weight loss and nutrition. What you say seems to make sense, about extra weight being extra pressure for the body..the spine to support...imimagine the knees also.
    Usually someone can feel better at a certain weight loss point...meaning you may not need your 120# goal.
    From experience I say, be kind to yourself and rejoice with any weight loss...not disappointed you are not at 120.
    And I would imagine if surgery was ever necessary, the recovery would be smoother without the extra weight.

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.