advertisement
advertisement

Conflicting diagnosis - Don't know what to do!

matibotmmatibot San FranciscoPosts: 4
edited 10/19/2016 - 4:54 PM in Chronic Pain
I've have a chronic pain on my right side from my neck to my shoulder blade and traps and spent years try to find what my problem was. I have had 2 MRI and both of them indicated a really minor disc bulge at c5-c6 that shouldn't cause any pain. I went to SF [facility] and they suggested I do MRI and these are their diagnosis: "Mild multilevel degenerative changes of the cervical spine without significant spinal canal stenosis." and suggested I take epidural steroids injection, which I took and it didn't help to reduce my pain. now I went back to Israel for a few weeks, made another MRI and again they said I only have a disc bulge at C5-C6.. seriously? I don't understand.. I tried literally anything, went to every doctor possible in Israel and there is no diagnosis and in [facility] in SF they claim otherwise. What should be my next move? please help my I'm really clueless and the pain is really unbearable. 
advertisement

Comments

• maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 254
    edited 10/18/2016 - 3:52 PM

I'm not sure why you would be told that a bulge at C5-C6 wouldn't cause any pain, even if its minor. I have herniated, or bulging, discs at C5-C6 and have a tremendous amount of pain and muscle spasms. Daily headaches and pain that goes from the base of my skull, down into my upper back, across my shoulder/shoulder blades and down into my upper arms with lots of muscle spasms in the trap muscle area. I also have mild degenerative disc disease and mild arthritis.

After talking to a pain management doctor and a Neurosurgeon I have been going to physical therapy and have had one epidural steroid injection a few weeks ago, which has not helped yet. All the Dr's I have talked to said I am doing all the right things though. I was told by the Neurosurgeon that 80% of these cases will resolve with conservative therapy like PT and injections, etc. It just takes time and patience. Hang in there!

There's lots of great articles on this site regarding this as well.

• matibotmmatibot San FranciscoPosts: 4
    Thanks for your response! The doctors in Israel think that this minimal disc bulge is not causing the pain the I experience and in the US they say that it does! I've been to 2 doctors already in Israel and they both say the same but the pain patterns scream disc bulge at c5-c6 and this exactly what I experience! so strange... I really hope we get some relief pretty soon!
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    matibot

welcome to the spine-health forums.

i'm sorry but i don't understand what the conflict is in the diagnosis. all say that you have a ddd or a bulge - both are the pretty much the same thing. a bulge is a type of ddd.

so let's focus on your symptoms - they are real, right. so as mae said, the bulge just might actually be causing some pain. if not, then something else is causing it - you don't care, what you care i that the source of the problem is found. work with your doctor, and don't stop, until the source of the problem is found.

please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started with the forums: Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

Hi Bruce, Thanks for your response, The conflict is that in Israel the doctors (Multiple doctors) say that there is no chance that the disc bulge at C5-C6 is causing the pain VS in SF the doctors say that it is the cause of my pain. I really don't understand why ? Moreover, I got an EMG check and they found a C5-C6 radiculopathy! Doesn't it validate the doctors from SF?
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 254
    I don't know your situation being that you are between Israel and SF, but are you able to get treatment in the US since they seem to know what they are talking about or are you in Israel for an extended period of time?
  • advertisement
    I'm Israeli, Moved to SF 8 months ago for a job (Software Engineer) and came back to Israel for a few weeks so I decided to check why in Israel I couldn't get the same diagnosis and made another MRI in a different institute and I got the same result like I did a few years back in Israel. It's really strange...
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.