advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Canadian artificial disc replacement?

I have been recommended an artificial disc replacement at L5-S1 by surgeon's in Germany, but it comes with a price tag I can't afford. Here in Canada, I've only been recommended a minimally invasive discectomy or a majorly invasive fusion. I really believe in the disc replacement as the best option, but I just haven't heard of who does them and where, so how can I even get a recommendation for it?! Looking for Canadians who have had the ADR done in Canada and can share their experiences. I understand we cannot name doctors or facilities here, so just information that doesn't violate the terms, please :)
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,188
    Hello...
    Sometimes calling the hospitals in location you want to have your surgery..could be a way to,receive references.
    Also, finding teaching hospitals in those ares could be helpful.
  • Did you have any luck in Canada? I'm looking too....

• advertisement
  • Did you check France for options? Probably cheaper than Germany.

• Hi, not sure if you are still wondering about ADR surgery in Canada....but I did have adr surgery for L5/S1 ,here in Canada back in 2012.

Some of my old post talk about my surgery....back then I was ouch2 ;)

• I'm in Montreal, Quebec and had C6-C7 ACDF surgery in November 2018. ADR is done in Canada but not every surgeon does them and the surgeons that do require special approval by the Government. My surgeons said there still isnt enough study results on longterm benefits therefore they go with the go to fusion surgeries.

• advertisement
  • ADR is very common in Europe and in parts of the US. I had one a little over a year ago and it was wildly successful. 

• I had mine done in Montreal ....sadly it was not wildly successful.

• Ouch3 who was your surgron in Montreal tgat performed your ADR?

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 443

I have been away from the forums for a while, sorry for not responding sooner.  I never did proceed with the ADR abroad or at home.  I am 4 months into recovery from L5-S1 MIS-TLIF and enjoying a better quality of life these days.

• Smartens162, glad to hear that you are enjoying a better quality of life now.  You didn't have your surgery for two years after you started this post....were you waiting that long for surgery, or originally hoping for ADR? Sounds like you made the right decision and are recovering well :)

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.