advertisement
advertisement

1 week post Bilateral SI Joint Fusion Surgery (Not the IFuse)

fell172014fell172014 Posts: 1
edited 10/20/2016 - 2:49 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I had bilateral SI Joint Fusion Surgery Friday 10-14-2016
No more burning in the low middle of my back..but my butt muscles and back of legs hurt like pulled muscles... I got my walker with the seat and wheels as instructed...I'm just trying to figure out what is normal now. It feels like Charley horse pain. My left SI Joint was worse than the right side. My incisions are on the sides...not on my back.so they are more on the hips. I'm hurting today worse than I have since the surgery..hardly any pain at all but now it feels like my butt cheeks and back of my knees and my calves ache now. Not comfortable in any position more than 30 minutes...I lay only on my back....most often with pillows under my knees. When my busts muscles & back of legs hurt , I'm constantly moving my legs slowly out and flat on bed and then drawing feet  back up near my butt.  It seems to help a little with the pain still happening ....like Charley horse...my knees hurt a little I am taking oxycodone 15mg every 4 hrs as needed. I just want to work.hard to make it stop hurting 
advertisement

Comments

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 1,922
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    Hello Fell

That is a lot to deal with at once!
    Hang in there..help is on the way!
    Other Spineys have had surgeries like yours and can offer advise!
    Hang in their

Welcome to Veritas Health Forum
    Please click the welcome message below for more information about the site and resources here
  • skilletsskillet Cincinnati, OHPosts: 54
    I had the same thing after my bi-lateral fixation surgery 2 months ago. I think the glute muscles they go through to do the surgery end up swelling and tightening up afterwards and put pressure on the sciatic and other nerves so it causes pain in the glutes and hamstrings (my lateral hamstrings especially). It will get better though. Even though I was very sore after surgery, I only spent a few days really sitting or laying around all day. I tried to make myself move around and at least be as active as possible to keep my muscles moving and not just seize up. At about the 2 week mark I started to do some VERY light stretching. Obviously follow your doctor's orders when it comes to all of that. Hang in there, it will definitely get better. You're only 6 days out at this point. Give it at least a few more days to a week or so and you should definitely be much better than you are now. Things will just continue to improve from there. Your SI joint will also be achy for the next 6-8 weeks from having holes drilled in it and screws/implants placed across the joint, especially when bending over or squatting. That will improve as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the recovery process as I'm at about the 2 month mark myself right now.
  • advertisement
  • I realize this thread is old but would love to hear from anyone who had bilateral SI Joint fusion. I am scheduled to have both my SI Joints fused in five days and would love to know more about the surgery, hospitalization and recovery.  Can you tell me when you were able to be weight bearing, how long before you could bend twist, walk, etc...

Any and all information would be appreciated.  A little background on me... we were in a terrible motor vehicle accident in 2014.  The person who hit us was ejected from his vehicle and passed away that day.  My DIL was driving the car and was the only one who could barely get out of the car.  The rest of us had to be cut out of the van.  The impact was on my side of the passenger door and I think I took the brunt of the impact.  I am 59 years old and was 55 at the time of the accident.  I had previous neck and back problems, disc bulges, pain, etc but since the accident I have had to have my C4-C6 fused; 8 weeks later my L4-S1 fused.  Then the following year they went in through the front (ALIF) and refused my L4-S1 and added more hardware as my bones had not fused (and still have not fused).  My SI joints are now the suspected culprit of much of my pain and I did have some relief with injections but they didn't last long.  I have terrible back, buttock pain and burning across the bottom of my buttocks, hip pain (in addition to my lower back and my neck at times).  My bilateral SI joint fusion is scheduled for the 7th of June (5 days from now) and I am looking for any and all information I can get concerning the surgery hospitalization and recovery.  

As far as I know my neurosurgeon (he has done all my surgeries) is not using the I fuse system.  He said something about running the large screws through the SI joint and attaching them to my existing back hardware.  I am in constant and chronic pain and am looking for any type of relief I can get.

Thank you so much,

Rachael 

• LizLiz Posts: 2,261

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.