advertisement
advertisement

Upcoming 3 Level ACDF

Hi all -

I am 29 and will be having ACDF c3-6 surgery in the near future. For those of you that have had this surgery, what was recovery like and what do you wish you would have known then, that you know now?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    tm534

welcome to the spine-health forums.

you might want to read bruce - my story

what i wish that i had known is that using bone from your pelvis isn't so painful (yes it hurts a bit) but it does tend to fuse better.

please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started with the forums: Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

• I wish I had known that it would be as easy as it was (for me), so I would have worried less about making the right decision.

I wish I had known an intravenous injection of Tylenol worked ten times better for me than oxycodone, which gave me a migraine.

I have also been posting my pet peeve on this forum: I wish I had known about a side-effect possible with any surgery called post-operative depression. It doesn't have to be scary, if you just know what is going on and why. Obviously not everybody gets it, but because it is a mental issue, few people talk about it (including the surgeon).
  • advertisement
  • redbud64rredbud64 CaliforniaPosts: 29
    I am having this same surgery first week in November. I will be following you TM534!
  • Hi..I had a 1 level disc fusion 7 years ago and will soon be having 2 more fusions. I wish I would have known that it would impact swallowing pills. I can do it, but it seems harder than it used to. I recently asked my doctor if that was normal, and he said yes. I also remember sleeping in the recliner for a little while when I came home for fear of my husband (accidentally) hitting me in the neck while sleeping! :-)
  • TM534TTM534 Posts: 4
    edited 10/23/2016 - 10:38 PM
    Redbud64, yours will be before mine. I'll be anxious to know what your experience is like. 

Take care!
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.