advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

For My Mother

Comments

• The next day she called her doctor and he switched her pain meds which helped and was given Ambien to sleep so that helped as well. Now she's just having trouble finding the right position to sleep without putting pressure on her wound/staples.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,482
    So glad your mom finally got some relief. It will get better, it takes time to heal.
    Give her a soft hug, let her know we're all thinking of her.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • advertisement
  • Thank you!  Anyone know how often the bandage needs to be changed?  Also, she's having terrible pain at the insision and the staples are pulling she said. :( hate seeing her in such pain. 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,482
    I think I would call her doctor first thing tomorrow. Might be a good idea to make a list of questions and concerns before you call, that way everything can be addressed at once.
    Hope her pain ease soon.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • Anyone know if a UTI is common when recovering?   Can she mix an Antibiotic with the oxy? Is a fever and aching all over normal? 
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sparrow38
    I think a call to the hospital team or your Mums family doctor first thing in the morning would be good. Fever should be checked immediately in case it is associated with the wound or possible infection in that area. Your doctor can advise on antibiotics and other medication if both are needed but I have not heard of a problem taking antibiotics alongside pain medication.

It is good to see you supporting your Mum during her time of need. She will be very grateful and proud of you
    AJ
    AJGormit

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you AJ! Everyone commenting here has been such a huge help for us. I am so grateful for you. I will tell her to call her doctor today with all of her questions. Hopefully she gets more relief as the days go on.
  • Update:  About 2 months since her surgery and for about 2 weeks her burning nerve pain was gone, but it's recently come back with a vengeance.  She's in so much pain, she had to stop PT.  She's afraid to take cymbalta because of the side effects but I believe that's the only thing that will help her nerve pain.  Thoughts?  Any other nerve pain alternatives you have? Thanks all
  • Hi Sparrow38
    It is a good sign that your Mum had relief from the nerve pain but sorry to hear it has returned.

Did the doctor prescribe Cymbalta for the nerve pain? or something else?

I was prescribed Lyrica for my nerve pain and I have seen it mentioned on this forum.  Others have talked about Gabapentine.  Lyrica has made a huge difference to my nerve pain but I do get flare ups sometimes if I push the boundaries of my nerve's reduced capability!

Did the nerve pain return when your Mum started PT? If so it may be good to mention this to her Physiotherapist to adjust the treatment, rather than stopping it altogether.  Scar tissue can form around the nerve and incision site, so PT is important to help prevent this.  PT may have aggravated the nerve or surrounding areas.

My disc reherniated and I was told that was a risk factor up to three months after surgery, while it is healing over.

I am guessing your Mum has had contact with her surgeon re the current new symptoms?

Thank you for supporting your Mum through this difficult time.  It is sometimes very hard to watch a loved one in pain, so please use Spine health to gather information that surrounds surgery, re hab and affects of this, to help you as well as your Mum.  There is many subjects covered, so use the search option to get the information you may need.

Take care
    AJ
    AJGormit

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you so much AJ.  Your words and information is very appreciated.  My mums pain is so bad right now that she doesn't know what to do. She was prescribed Lyrica and Gambeton before but had horrible side effects.  They then gave her 30 mgs of cymbalta for the extreme burning nerve pain and has been terrified of taking it because of the previous bad reactions.  She told me tonight that she took it because the pain was so bad she was at her pain limit. I feel horrible and wish I could find the best solution for her.  It is the first time seeing her with an ailment and wow it's very difficult to deal with.  So any information any one has for me is so greatly appreciated.  Thanks!- Megan 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.