advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Failed cervical fusion pain

Hello my name is Susan .   I had a cervical fusion C4-7  in September 2014 .   I have developed progressive pain and muscle spasm's   Since surgery and was diagnosed with a failed fusion to c 7-7 level in July 2016 .   The original surgeon proposed placing rods for relief of this this discomfort with no guarantee .   My second opinion was from a neurosurgeon who proposed a much more aggressive posterior surgical approach to include bracing a level above an into T 1. Again this is with no guarantees .   I have worked with my medical physician to try all other modalities of physical therapy pay medication  and acupuncture .   The use of muscle relax sense actually resulted in increased pain    The only thing that seems to help  is the application of continuous heat and rest .   As you can imagine I am extremely frustrated and terrified at having another surgery which bay not resolve my symptoms .   Can anyone tell me if they've had any success with posterior fusion revision surgery?   I have not been successful in finding positive results from surgery .  
advertisement

Comments

• joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 303
    Following bc I think something is wrong with mine too. did you notice an increase in your neck popping and crunching again by chance? pretty surgery mine was hideously crunchy with every movement and after and up until the last month or so it had started loudly popping g and getting crunchy sounding in my head and if I'm looking down, it gets stuck and I have to use my hand to lift my chin back up. I'm so afraid that it stopped fusing, a screw is coming out or some of the hardware broke or an adjacent level has herniated. I'm 11mths post 2 level ACDF btw. My right side had never stopped hurting just like yours too...basically your story below is same as mine.
  • susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    Hello,
    I had a 3 level acdf in 2010.  I failed to fuse and my Surgeon just kept telling me I'm not out of the woods yet.  I was in Serious pain 24/7.  I was really suffering, I finally went to a orthopedic surgeon 3 years later with a friend here At Spine Health and sure enough I had to have Posterior Rods and I will tell you it was a very Painful Surgery.  At least for me it was. My Posterior Surgery was 8/8/14 and I am still having Pain. I was given full Disability. 

My advice is to get many opinions. I did and you would not believe how many opinions I received.  I found 2 surgeons 
    that agreed and I picked out the I was most comfortable with.   My Pain is not failed surgery anymore but I still have to lay down on Heating pad, and take Meds & the fentanyl Patch. 

Good Luck,
    susabell 
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,268
    hello sutherland24 !

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Sign In or Join Us to comment.