advertisement
advertisement

Lower back pain, Sciatica, SEVERE Antalgic Gait, very desperate.

I am 19 years old, I was diagnosed with an L5 S1 Disc Bulge by my doctor. I can't walk even 30 feet without shooting pain in my hip due to my aggresive antalgic posture that I cannot fight. I lean forward and to the left away from the pain so my right hip is hiked and I have been trying to find ways of laying down and reversing it but nothing helps. I have a desk job so 40 hours a week I'm in agony and I'm on the verge of tears for the most part trying to keep it together. I layed on the floor once with pillows under my legs, lumbar spine area, and head and I tried getting up from my knees by using my arms and my left leg and I made it WORSE. I was prescribed muscle relaxers to take every 8 hours and steroids until this saturday to take and nothing has really helped. I am contemplating surgery because of this serious pain but I just want to be better.
advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 654
    Do you think you got the antalgic gait because of the pain, or did you simply notice it after the pain? I can remember back about 25 years when a chiropractor friend of mine demonstrated to me how I walked. Now that I know a bit more, I can see it was antalgic. This was before the sciatic pain. I did have low back pain, but still had the walk. It makes me think I had the dysfunctional gait first and that's what led to the pain, not the other way around (the dysfunctions happens due to the pain). Fast forward 25 years to a visit to another chiropractor who did full xrays of my entire spine and pelvis. I found at that point I had a high hip, and rotated pelvis, and forward tilted pelvis. Plus had lumber vertebrae compression's, and scoliosis. Seems like you and I had a lot in common but you're just feeling the pain earlier than I did.

Being 19 and having a desk job is pretty impressive, if I may say. But it may also continue to lead you down a path of pain. You might want to look at making changes to your work station and work habits. Start with a standing desk. If you can't afford one or have your company buy you one, then stack boxes or books so you can stand. Don't just stand. Mix it up and sit too. Just keep in mind that simply changing it up between sitting and standing may not be enough. At least once an hour between your standing/sitting campaign, move around the office. Go to a different floor. Make movements you wouldn't make at your desk.

At home, get off the couch. Its time to stand up and watch tv and eat dinner! Start doing more chores. Don't over-do-it though but do get your body back in motion. For an athlete, the number one non-contact way they injure themselves is by way of repetitive motion. Doing the same motions over and over teaches only specific muscles to grow. When the other functional muscles go dormant is when the injuries present themselves. The same holds true sitting at a desk. Just some thoughts to get your mind thinking.... :)
  • Hi JH1125. It's been about 9 months since your original post and i would love to know if your pain and back have improved. I have the exact condition as you and would love to get any advice or input to help with my healing. My antalgic lean is so bad that I can barely walk at times. I am desperate :( 

• advertisement
  • Hi JH1125. It's been about 9 months since your original post and i would love to know if your pain and back has improved. I have the exact condition as you and would love to get any advice or input to help with my healing. My antalgic lean is so bad I can barely walk at times. I am desperate :( 

• @ mw925

How long did it take for your antalgic lean to dissipate?

• LizLiz Posts: 2,271

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it.

• advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.