advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Urgent advice needed prior to seeing surgeon

i am seeing an orthapedic surgeon again tomorrow 18th November & am desperate for advice on what to say.
following a high speed rear impact crash in June this year -
i have a herniated disc in c5/6, a bulge in c7/t1 confirmed by MRI in August & another in October and 3 bulges in lumber region - unsure where they are as MRI only done last week & have yet to have a consultation.
this week, I have also had emg/nerve conductivity - but won't know the results of that until tomorrow.
i have been getting all the symptoms of nerve involvement, pain in shoulder, arm, hand, pins & needles, clumsiness etc on my right side and also numbness & dragging feeling in my right leg with sporadic pains also shooting down my left leg. I stumble a lot out of the blue and struggle to steady myself.
im on gapapentin, amitriptyline, naproxen and co-codamol, but even this cocktail at times doesn't help with the deliberating pain.
i have been losing a lot of time from my job as sometimes I am over run with pain and unable to function.
ive had physio early on with no effect & all of these meds.
the last time I saw this surgeon, he suggested further physio on the NHS (I'm uk based). The first appointment has come through for 22nd November.

i am in so much pain, the thought of further physio terrifies me. As does the thought of being in this pain any longer - it's been intolerable for nearly 6 months.

my GP and the guy who did emg have both suggested that surgery is the answer - but I worry the orthapedic surgeon will fob me off again.

what should I do, how should I approach this? The surgeon is very stand offish and barely let me speak last time.

i just want my life back and be out of pain and working.  My bosses have been supportive so far, but I feel they want answers now too.

any advice greatly received.  Thanks for reading. 

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,212
    Hello....
    It may be benefit to you to click on FAQs, on right of page.
    Under Medical Information...there are links to lead you ...Questions for Doctors...such as surgeons, pain management, etc...

You may want to bring along CDs of previously done tests, for doctor to review by himself...not being dependent on written impressions.

My primary doctor tried to work with my pain for two years then referred me to pain management/neurologist.
    I have never been a candidate for spinal surgery, however working with pain management has taken edge off my pain.

I for one, would be interested to know if your EMG was revealing.
    Please keep us posted!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 918
    lizg1974 - I don't know how "the system works" in the UK. I'm from the US. Can you get a second opinion? If it looks likely that you are going to have a neck fusion, you really need to know that you can trust the surgeon.

I know that there are good orthopedic surgeons that do neck fusions, but why not a neurosurgeon? Was that not an option? I've been through two neck fusions and am maybe looking at another one. My broken up neck as also caused by a high speed rear end crash. From my experience and a friend that also got her neck all broke up from a violent car crash, you really need a surgeon that you can trust and have a good feeling in your gut about him/her.
  • advertisement
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 320
    edited 11/19/2016 - 1:56 PM
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. There are articles and videos on this site with advice and questions to ask to prepare you for a visit with a surgeon.

How did your appointment go? I hope you were able to get some answers.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.