advertisement
advertisement

Spinal Stenosis vs Disc Herniation?

I am trying to understand the difference between the two. My MRI said I have both.

My PT told me to do some chin tuck exercises to help correct spinal stenosis. She said with forward head posture that the bone on the back side is narrowed. However I thought herniation meant that there is a lack of space in the front (its compressed) ? How could I have both?

These are some of the specifics from the Cervical MRI report:
C3-4: Disc bulge and facet hypertrophy
C4-5: Protrusion. Mild stenosis, joint and facet hypertrophy. Possible contact of nerve rootlet
C5-6: Protrusion. Contact/indentation of ventral cord. Contact of origin of both ventral nerve rootlets. Mild to Moderate exit narrowing.
Moderate to severe central narrowing.
C6-7: Disc bulge. Mild to moderate exit narrowing. Contact at left neural foramen.
C7-T1: Mild facet hypertrophy

Thoughts?
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809
    Andrew

A herniation is where one or more of your discs has lost it's normal shape and is protruding into the spinal nerve column in some way. Stenosis is where the spinal nerve column is being compressed by some part or your spinal bone system in some way. They are not the same... and in both cases there are lots of different ways in which they can cause nerve pain. It's fairly common to have both a herniation and spinal stenosis at the same time.
  • andrewbissadaaandrewbissada South CarolinaPosts: 11
    Andrew

A herniation is where one or more of your discs has lost it's normal shape and is protruding into the spinal nerve column in some way. Stenosis is where the spinal nerve column is being compressed by some part or your spinal bone system in some way. They are not the same... and in both cases there are lots of different ways in which they can cause nerve pain. It's fairly common to have both a herniation and spinal stenosis at the same time.
    It sounds like you are saying that both are a compression that go into the nerve column. I'm no sure I understand. When I looked at a video it looked like herniation was in the front, and stenosis was in the back. Also, one of the videos was mentioning that herniation can cause stenosis
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.