advertisement
advertisement

Pain above L5 area

a month ago, I had my first appt with my spine dr. He told me the results of my cat scan:
 XC SPINE  LUMBAR: Bilateral pars defects at L5, consistent with bilateral spondylolysis. Thereis a tiny grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L5-S1.
Foraminal stenosis on the right at L5-S1, probably moderate-severe. Mild foraminal stenosis onthe left at L5-S1. This foraminal stenosis is likely due to eccentric disc bulge/protrusion.

bulging disk. He told me that I have 2 options. Shots or surgery. He said I'm a good candidate for surgery. I told him I need time to think about my options. 

Anyway a couple days later I bent over to pick up an item I dropped and had severe burning pain in the area above L5. I waited it out. Since then it been real mild but left me wondering. Did I get another bulging disk? I left email with my dr. He said that since my lower back is messed up that it's normal to have spinal pains above L5. I also have pain in spine in upper back area between shoulder blades area and there is a bony spot there very tender to touch. I had that area hurting on and off for couple of weeks before I had PT and had cat scan of lower back area. I'm wishing o can get my whole spine cat scanned. I'm very curious about the areas above L5. 
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 410
    E'starr, Hello again,

In theory your lumbar spine imaging should have been you entire lumbar spine including L4 - Try to get a hold of the narrative report and see what is says about the L4 area..

Again.

MN 
  • E'starrEE'starr Kansas Posts: 17
    Ok. I'll do that. Thank you. 
  • advertisement
    If I remember correctly on what spine dr said about the two areas above L5 he said there are some thinning but otherwise good shape. 
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 410
    IMHO thinning is of concern and could be very related to your additional symptoms.

Again,

MN
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 3,491
    Hello...
    Im just curious...since you are having upper spinal symptoms and pain, also... what did doctor say about further testing to investigate other areas of  your spine?

And am I understanding correctly, you have not had an MRI?
    And I may have missed it, but what kind of surgery did doctor suggest you to have?

I think all your questions are valid. Have you thought about a second opinion? You may get more information and you may get more choices.
    I also agree with Metalneck, above.
    My first very troublesome symptom was from my lumbar area...thinning discs.
    But I have been told I am not a candidate for surgery.
  • advertisement
    My family dr said he will have my upper back checked soon. I will see him next month. I had cat scan done on my lower back. Spine dr said I have L5-S1 spondylolisthesis grade one with fractured pars bilaterally. Bulging disk. Spinal stenosis. I need surgery soon as possible. I asked my spine dr if I can wait til I move in the spring. 

I havent seek 2nd opinions yet. I have Medicare and Medicaid. I'm not sure if I can have 2nd opinions. My mom is afraid my spine dr would dump me. We both like him. He explained things in great details. He wants to do minimal invasive TLIF and repair the broke pars and remove the damaged disk. 
    I have copy of my report from my spine dr. It's lame. They only did cat scan of my lower back. And my new pain area happened after the cat scan. I would need another cat scan. 
  • Hey,

Yes I would be curious what your doctor has to say as well I have been dealing quite a lot of pain for awhile so I have become curious on the topic.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.