advertisement
advertisement

L5 s1 discectomy post op

hey guys, my name is Aaron, let me tell you my story. I'm an MMA fighter who also works a very physical job, on June 18 I was punching the bag in the gym and I felt a crack followed by the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I took some time off the gym the pain went away, I started training again. About a month after I started training again I got terrible leg pain, to the point I couldn't walk. I went and got an MRI turns out had a severe herniated disc on my l5-s1. I did physical therapy and it just made it worse. So I opted for surgery and had a microdiscectomy on Tuesday December 6. I haven't had any pain in my leg while I'm walking but I still don't even have close to full range of motion in my leg. I went for s walk today, and started getting pain. Not sure if reherniation or if just inflammation. If anybody could help me or give me some faith lol. I need to get back in the gym within 6 months.thanks everyone!
advertisement

Comments

• MartySmithMartySmith Toronto, CanadaPosts: 31
    You are barely out of surgery Aaron, at the time of you writing your post you were just 3 days post-op! Be patient, move within your means and your surgeons post-op guidelines. I don't think you have anything to worry about, your discomfort sounds completely normal.
  • Aaron your disc was pinching your nerve so the pain is your nerve healing but it never hurts to check with the doc like i did the same day you had surgery i still have leg pain because the disc was so bad and im 7 months post op as of last monday and dont rush things let your body tell you what it wants
  • advertisement

• MartySmith said:
    You are barely out of surgery Aaron, at the time of you writing your post you were just 3 days post-op! Be patient, move within your means and your surgeons post-op guidelines. I don't think you have anything to worry about, your discomfort sounds completely normal.
    I'm just a bit worried.i can't do the straight leg raise test causes way to much pain, I'm afraid I may have reherniated it from doing the test. Most of the pain is in my lower shin and lower calf.

• Heavenlyrae said:
    Aaron your disc was pinching your nerve so the pain is your nerve healing but it never hurts to check with the doc like i did the same day you had surgery i still have leg pain because the disc was so bad and im 7 months post op as of last monday and dont rush things let your body tell you what it wants
    Thanks @Heavenlyrae  I'm just nervous, I hope I didn't reherniate doing the straight leg raise test. The pain is mostly in my lower shin/calf. I haven't done any bending twisting or lifting, basically just laying in bed. It seems like the pain comes and goes kinda. Feels just like before surgery, however the surgeon said he did see a tear in there too 
  • Aaron the worst thing you can so is lay in bed getting up and walking and being active i have a bad back (post lumbar lami doc says so) when i sit for a long time then get up i get those aches and pains  follow doc orders but walking helps ive seen that on many posts ive had times i felt like i had reherniated but on the 6th i had a MRI done and recieved it with my doc he says everything looks good and i do not need surgery (i do have a slightly slipped disc but its nothing to worry about)
  • advertisement
  • Aaron how have things been now that it's been a few months?
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.