advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Did I reherniate my back?

hi everyone, I hope you are all better than before in terms of pain.

I'm post L5S1 (right) microD day 8. On normal easy days I get by without much pain except for the occasional muscle spasms at night and numbness in the right leg- all of which are normal occurrences to my surgeon. 

I did a lot of different things today-bad idea.

1) cooked spaghetti and lifted a pan with bolognese sauce (too heavy?)

2) slept with a new body pillow the previous night and perhaps twisted my upper back trying to find the right position 

3) walked out of my house on a 10-20degree inclined slope and back (10mins slowly)

4) sat for about 30mins more frequently on an ergo chair

5) the stupidest- slept on my side on the leather couch with a cushion under my waist and hip to try and make my spine straight -2.5 hrs in total with a walk around the house every 30mins

Tonight, however, I felt a bit more pain in my right hammy, more intense pain in the lower back and buttock. Prob a 3 or 4/10, tolerable enough to take just 1 endone tablet. Walking seems to alleviate the pain but When getting in and out of bed or seat, I hear popping sounds either in my back or my hips. 

Im really scared that i have  reherniated. In all your experience, have I? Thanks! 
advertisement

Comments

• Updates: It's the following am here in Australia.  other than a stiff back(I slept in my back), I'm feeling a dull 1/10 pain in my hammy. Nothing as bad as before op. Am I safe from reherniation? 
  • Also super worried I reherniated. I had surgery December 6, it's now the 10. While I'm not nearly in as much pain as before I still get the burning pain while sitting down and I have the pain in my lower shin. I really have not done much and I don't have full range of motion in 1 leg. Really scared I reherniated!
  • advertisement
  • Hello estpl
    Although no one here is qualified to give a diagnosis, many have walked in your shoes,and can offer advice from personal experience.
    Plese click the welcome message below
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• That may have been 4 things too much... maybe. You are in very early stages of recovery and you need to let your body heal itself. Maybe pull back on doing so much, so quickly and see if things settle down. If you have new painful symptoms, you should call your surgeons office for advice if you are worried.

You have had major surgery, so listen to your body and work at the pace it wants for a while.

Re sitting down in the second post ... I was told to only perch for 6 weeks, so maybe the sitting is putting too much pressure on the disc.

Less is more :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" />
    AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you all for replying. I asked my surgeon and he basically said if I experienced sciatica down the leg like pre-op, then it is likely to be reherniation. If it's just twinges here and there, nope. Phew!
  • advertisement
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    Rehernating after surgery is not a very common situation.   It does take a good amount to do that or if there was a marginal surgery done and everything was not cleaned.
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    always remember recovery from spinal surgery takes time. 1 to 3 weeks is still so new post op. take a look at
    recovery the most important phase after surgery
  •  I also agree it's still early in the recovery process as the tissues and nerves are healing. It can take up up to a year. I'm one of those who reherniated the same disc one month post op after a microdiscectomy. I knew something was terribly wrong and was told to give it time. However, I was sent for another MRI which confirmed the problem. Not only that, but also vertebral slippage and instability in the same area. A fusion was done a few months later since the back and leg pain was much worse. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Thanks dilauro for the link. 

Sorry to hear that, Meydey. I hope you're feeling better? What I found hard is I constantly ask myself-did I twist my back too hard by reaching to my behind while seated  on the toilet ? Did I overdo things? May I ask how do you know you've reherniated? 

• All of you that had been having twinges or whatever of sciatica after your surgery, how is it now? Has it gone away or still there after this much time?
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.