advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

ACDF - Has anyone else had a similar experience where disc fragments were left behind?

Faith981Faith981 Posts: 86
edited 12/22/2016 - 3:37 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,
It's been a while since I've come to the forum. I had an Anterior Cervical Spinal Fusion of my C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7 back in May 2015, 19 months ago. It relieved a lot of symptoms, but I have some new ones. I just had a cervical MRI with and without contrast. I know no one can give medical advice, but I'm curious if anyone has had something similar show up on their MRI. I will get to ask my doctor in a few weeks, but I was curious if anyone else had this happen to them.

It seems the surgeon had to leave behind some of my disc herniation in my spine and it is still causing symptoms. I could be wrong but I'm wondering if it is actually a piece of the donor bone that came loose into the spinal canal because there is also a white circle on my MRI like something is missing. I've searched online and can not find any MRI images that look like mine, nor have I heard of disc pieces left behind after surgery.
The radiologist report of my MRI stated:
C3-C4: Small disc bulge effaced the ventral thecal sac. Minimal central spinal stenosis with no neuroforaminal narrowing.
C4-C5: Fusion at this level. No disc herniation.
C5-C6: Fusion at this level. Right paracentral disc herniation effacing the ventral thecal sac and flattening the ventral aspect of the cord without compression. Right neuroforaminal narrowing. Possible exiting right C6 nerve root involvement. (This is the level where a piece is out in my spine)
C6-C7: Fusion at this level. No disc herniation.
C7-T1: Unremarkable. (This is very interesting because 11 months ago my cervical MRI showed a small disc herniation and possible C8 nerve root involvement that has now been healed by the Grace of God or is not visible on this scan. I like to think the latter!)

I wish I could attach two images of my MRI but I can't seem to find the function. I did update my profile photo though. It is very small and only one T2 segmented image but, perhaps you can still see what I mean. Anyway, I hope you get the idea from my description. Anyone have disc herniation left behind after surgery? Anyone have a piece of the donor bone come loose?
advertisement

Comments

Sign In or Join Us to comment.