advertisement
advertisement

3 weeks ACDF post -op 5/6 6/7.... have to 'watch' the 7/8??

At my follow up appointment for my surgery the Dr. and I were looking at the xray, and she said that because of the hardware put in sometimes it can eventually put pressure on the lower/ upper discs. She noted that there was still "Some" space that was okay between the 7/8 but that we would have to keep an eye on it.
?? So now I'm wondering if it's inevitable that I'm going to need surgery for that, and if it was somewhat questionable why wouldn't they have just done that one as well.
Now I am scared to move in fear that I'm going to herniate the 7/8.
Anybody have anything similar?
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    dmd09

I understand your questions - I ended up needing a second surgery for the disc just above.  I also wondered why we didn't just do it in the first place.

It is common for the discs above and below to see extra strain and later fail.  I think, but have no real knowledge, that they don't do them because they don't always fail.

Accept that it is possible, hope that it doesn't happen.
  • Hi Bruce, it's amazing that  I just posted this a few days ago. Yesterday I felt a 'pull' in the side of my neck, and it became more painful. I ended up going to the ER, I was very concerned that the plate may have moved. Luckily all the hardware was fine, but there is 'soft tissue swelling ' near the 7/8!!! My Dr., of course won't be in next week. So I'm kind of stuck I guess until he gets back.
    Unreal..... So is this what I have to look forward too? (sigh)

How far apart were your surgeries?
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    dmd09

My surgeries were almost 2 years apart.

Don't panic yet, could just be swelling...
Sign In or Join Us to comment.