advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I think I messed up :(

Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker to this glorious website and forum for a long time and finally decided to register today. Throughout the time, I've gained alot of useful information from all of you wonderful people. I had surgery in August of this year (my very first surgery EVER:'( a Micro D. I thought my troubles were terminated and put away for good but sadly I believe my doom has resurfaced again. Almost a month ago, I was undressing and felt a slight shift in my spine followed by a slight tingle of pain in my left calf. IMMEDIATELY, I started to freak out and have a panic attack accompanied with heat hives  :( .. The pain has slowly crept back in my life and it sucks. I contacted my Neurosurgeon, he ordered me an MRI that was set for today. Before then, I was given a steroid dosepak and put on Hydrocodone 5's (SMH) which did nothing but make me overly aggressive and constipated.

Fast forward...

After my MRI, I asked the staff for a copy of the disc. I got it home and downloaded some free software to help me view it and I took a screenshot of it. I'm no doctor and really don't fully understand what I'm looking at but if I had to take a quick guess it appears that I've reherniated in my lower back again... If anyone is familiar enough with the image I've attached, I'm asking you kindly, if you could break down what it is and are my guesses correct. Looking forward to being among more people that are in similar situations as mine and abroad. Makes me feel as if I'm not alone or being a huge cry baby like some people have boldly said upon me explaining whats going on with my back. I always get the " OH MAN, THATS NOTHING MY LEG HURTS NOW AND BACK... BEEN THAT WAY FOR A DECADE BUT I'M WORKING"... Or "YOU'LL BE OK JUST DO MORE EXERCISING"... Smh a bunch of mumbo jumbo basically.

Cheers to you all!!! 
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,480
    BigHomi3, welcome to Spine Health!! First of all no one at Spine Health is a formally trained medical professional. 
    Everything that is posted here is based on personal experience and perhaps additional research.
    No member is permitted to provide analysis of any diagnostic test, medical advice of any kind, recommendations in terms of medications, treatments, exercises, etc.
    On your next appointment with the neurosurgeon, take the CD with you and go over it with him. 
    There is a great thread here called Size Doesnt Matter, it will take you to a very good article Insights and Advice About Herniated Disc. I think you would benefit reading this.
    You're not being a cry baby, most of us on here have heard it all from other people. 
    But I know how you feel, I'm dealing with 4 ruptured disc, 2 fractured vertebrae, progressive scoliosis and several other spinal issues. My pain levels are always 9/10 and that's with meds.
    Keep us posted on your appointment.
    Merry Christmas!!
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • Cheers Bighomi3, yes it's not uncommon to have a post op disc herniation. It happened to me after the micro-d one month later. I also had instability and rampant spinal arthritis complicating matters. Have you had a new MRI? That's the only way to tell. I wound up having a 2 level fusion within the same year but unfortunately it didn't help. The surgery was fine technically but I developed scar tissue encroaching the nerve roots. Today I have a pain pump and spinal cord stimulator and hope that this will improve my function. It's also all to common to have other problems crop up after spinal surgery. Some people are so lucky to be able to live normal lives afterwards with minimal issues. It's irritating to hear comments like the ones you mentioned and there's no way they will understand being disabled by chronic back problems unless it happens to them. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello bighomi3 !
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    Hello...
    I so agree with memerainbolt, above.
    Please let us know what your doctor has to say about your condition.
    Did he run more tests after reviewing you CD of MRI?

Please keep us posted!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Merry Christmas to all of you wonderful people!

I want to start this off by saying THANKS! to everybody who replied and gave me healthy feedback. I have yet to be contacted by my doctors office to go further after having my MRI sent over to them. Luckily, I didn't leave it in just my surgeons hands this time, from what I've seen with my very own eyes, it looks like I re-herniated but getting "official" results is always the best hand dealt.

Finally signing up to this website is already proving to be a blessing. I only ask that you all do me a favor with putting me and my family in your prayers as I will do each and every person on here, because we all know that these issues never effect JUST US, yet it impacts and shifts the dynamics of all the people around us.

Cheers! 

:) 
  • advertisement
  • @memerainbolt 

merry christmas!  :)

thanksalot for taking time out to drop me a few lines on my very first post, it's greatly appreciated and welcomed!!

with that out of the way, allow me to address a few things in your comment, i type this with no malicious or disrespectful intent but in a way that we're both clear on my post as not to confuse you, if i didn't come across correctly the first time.

first of all no one at spine health is a formally trained medical professional. 
    everything that is posted here is based on personal experience and perhaps additional research.

that opening bit of your statement is a tad on the side of aggressive and talking through me instead of with me about an understanding of the rules and regs. then again, its hard to determine a persons intentions to be rude or nice when it's in a forum but be that as it may, it rubbed a new comer wrong.

i completely understand this and read it in the newbie faq before i posted. my wording should have been more detailed with what i was asking for if my mri photo had been posted. i don't expect none of these courageous people that are unfortunately suffering from issues, to be medically detailed nor trained in any given profession well enough to give me a thorough digital evaluation. the only thing i was kindly asking for was a bit of being pointed in the right direction or someone who could possibly tell me if my guess was aimed right based off of their own personal experience with such, which to me isn't a crime or grounds to be told otherwise, but then again, i'm new so to speak and neither do i dictate the rules and regulations.

no member is permitted to provide analysis of any diagnostic test, medical advice of any kind, recommendations in terms of medications, treatments, exercises, etc.

thanks alot, i read this already and i'm fully aware. unfortunately, i thought that my post didn't fall underneath this rule but obviously it did by asking for thoughts on my mri.

ex.

i'm no doctor and really don't fully understand what i'm looking at but if i had to take a quick guess it appears that i've reherniated in my lower back again... if anyone is familiar enough with the image i've attached, i'm asking you kindly, if you could break down what it is and are my guesses correct.  "

vs.

" hey im new and got a screenshot of my mri. im asking one of you to tell me if i re-herniated my disk, what i should do, what exercises are best to treat it and the types of medications that help with pain along with mg's....if this isn't too much, i'd like the names and locations of neurosurgeons that may help me too ..... thanks! "
    --------------

on your next appointment with the neurosurgeon, take the cd with you and go over it with him.

thanks again and great idea, although my images are automatically uploaded to my ns shortly after finishing up my appointment which is why i asked for a copy of the images on a cd myself. i hate playing the waiting game with such an issue and i know this is the holiday season. i should have explained this better in my initial post.

there is a great thread here called size doesnt matter, it will take you to a very good article insights and advice about herniated disc. i think you would benefit reading this.

thank you so much! great read/info and perfectly fitting given my username which i think you may have taken into mind before recommending it to me.  ;) 

you're not being a cry baby, most of us on here have heard it all from other people. 

that means alot and one of the main reasons i have visited this website for so long on-top of finally registering to be among people like me who understand and don't judge like outsiders who can't relate and nor do they care to in some cases unfortunately.

i'mdealing with 4 ruptured disc, 2 fractured vertebrae, progressive scoliosis and several other spinal issues. my pain levels are always 9/10 and that's with meds.

no matter the issue or severity of the pain, we still have air in our lungs and a beating heart. this isn't to be dismissive like people have been to me in the past while explaining my spine issues but to give encouragement to always look at the brighter side of things even when it feels like the sun is hiding away from your life.

cheers! and merry christmas to you and your family once again!!!  :)

• I have been where you are right now and though no one here can interpret your MRI, perhaps I have some words that may be of comfort until you get the verdict from your doc.   I was 90% sure I had re herniated my disk given a return of symptoms and worse though my NS did not believe I had. He ordered the MRI at my insistence.   I got a copy of the CD and went straight to a computer to see what it showed as I had to wait till the next day to get the radiology report and see my doc.  From the side view, it sure looked like I had reherniated.  My doc went over the MRI in detail and from the cross section, he pointed out that my problems were from edema, inflammation, and serous fluid and that the affect disk was still very much intact.    I was delighted to see that I had not reherniated.  Back pains are strange indeed and everybody will have a different experience.  Some go forward all the way and some of us take steps forward and some backward before it all gets better.  Best of luck to you!
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    BigHomi

What you were getting are important words that come from just one of our great members.  They realize and understand all the objectives of this site and just how important that we have rules put in place.

If you dont like what you read, its not memerainbolt's fault, she is just doing what all my moderators do with new members.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,480
    First of all let me apologize if if I offended you in any way. It was not my intention to be be rude or certainly aggressive. I had no intentions of talking through you but to you. 
    Others have posted their MRI images or readings on this forum in the past. They are always notified by a moderator or a member that it is against rules to give our options on the findings. We have no way of knowing you or anyone else has read these rules. 
    By asking, if you could break down what it is and my guesses are correct, is still giving a personal opinion on the image, again, against the rules. 
    We try to give advice on here through personal experience. Maybe I should have worded things differently. My images are always sent directly to my doctors but I still take a copy for safe measure. How are we to know your or other member's CD's are automatically sent.
    I was in no way minimizing your pain or your spinal issues by telling you what I am dealing with. Most of the members here will tell you their story to let you know you are not alone and not the only one going through this. I usually don't go into detail about my issues and try to concentrate more on, for instance, your situation.
    You've had one surgery, hopefully your last. Several of us had multiple surgeries, some failed some good. We've gone through all the tests, injections, physical therapy, good and bad doctors, ordeals with meds and pharmacies. I've always thought of us as encyclopedias of suggestions and experience. Anyone new that comes on board has this wealth of information, support and understanding at their fingertips. 
    Again, I apologize. 
    Sandra

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    Sandra, no need for you to apologize.  You are just doing and posting as one of my moderators would do.  We welcome the new members and layout some quick groundrules if we see anything that could be a violation.

You  did more than  you have to do, and the moderator team and I appreciate your efforts in this
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.