advertisement
advertisement

l4 l5 surgery brand new

hi everyone.

I had surgery to remove a hernitation at the l4 l5 area of my spine 12 days ago.

my symptoms before the surgery were alot of pain in my leg while sitting.  It went on for about 14 months. before I finally got the surgery.

The doctor told me it was actually a very easy surgery with very good prognosis and outcome because of the type of herniation - farlateral, and where it was located in my spine.

I finally got it done.  surgical pain after the surgery - minimal.  i didn't even take the stupid pain medz.  I was given some at the hospital before I left.  I was uinder the knife about 45 minutes.  woke up - accidently moved and pulled my iv out.  blood squirted everywhere.  they cleaned it.  gave me a pain shot.  they made me walk - no problem and go to the bathroom. all good. 

got in car drove home 2.5 hours. ( I didn't drive of course)

anyway  the reason i'm here and typing this up is because I'm 12 days post surgery and my leg pain is much worse than before surgery.  I called the doctors office and they said there was scar tissue around the hernitation and they expected me to be inflamed in that area for some time.

I was told I could go back to work in 2 weeks, and to be honest i'm way worse off now at 12 days than i was before this surgery.  I'm getting a little concerned.

I found overall the back surgery to be pretty easy compared to other procedures i've had to have done.  the recovery really didn't require me to do any PT.  he said just try to walk 30 minutes or so a day.  thats no problem. walking was never a problem its sitting.  I can't sit comfortably for 14

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 3,491
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello pain_in_my_leg80 !
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forumplease click on link for helpful information!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 3,491
    Hello...
    I have never been a candidate for surgery, so hopefully others will jump in to speak of their experiences.
    Please be patient as it is holiday season, and also we are chronic pain suffers who may not be able to be online as often as we would like.

To me, it seems two weeks may be quick in resuming all activities, as a blanket statement.
    All of us are so individual.

However, I would say to ....please, keep in contact with your doctor re your symptoms.
    Did doctor give you any limitatations...or limitations for a time?..any restrictions?

You may be interested to read.. Recovery the Most Important Phase...
    You can find by search, upper right on page.
    Using search, you may also find information from the medical side, re your surgery and articles or videos with doctor's explanations. 

Wishing you very very best with your recovery!
    Please keep us posted!

• advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 688
    edited 12/30/2016 - 4:59 PM
    2 weeks after any spine surgery is when I started physical therapy. I was taking many pain meds and was not able to drive. My PT was very gentle with me because any movement hurt a lot. You're in the very early stages of recovery. I was not able to return to work until 6 weeks at the earliest and even then it was a huge challenge. 
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 845
    hi,
    i'm 11 days out from my t10 to pelvis long fusion and my leg pain has ramped up significantly as well, but i recognize my pain (through experience) as nerve pain.  i know in my surgery they moved, pulled, debrided, relocated and angered a lot of pieces of my spine (and removed quite a few too), and fully expect those nerves to be angry.  best i can describe it is my spine is damaged, but my legs hurt because of the referred pain-the same thing as cracking my elbow and my fingers hurt.  i didn't hurt my fingers, but they hurt because the nerve supplying them in injured.  my surgeon recommended i get back onto my neuronitin (gabapentin) right away and try to just calm down the nerves in the meantime.  they don't heal fast, so i expect they're going to hurt a while......with my fusion i will be off work at least 3 months probably....followup is at 6 weeks, and i'm not allowed in a car before then, i still haven't even gotten 20 inches of staples removed yet! 

i wish you much less pain soon!!!!! 
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 688
    Lyrica has been a lifesaver for me after my cervical issues started. Pre and post op. I've tried just Norco and muscle relaxers but the Lyrica just really helps. GLTU
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Jake...

The inflammation in your nerves will likely take a LOT more time to subside.  Until the inflammation subsides your nerves will fire and give you pain.  Some people wake up from surgery with zero nerve pain.  Others like you and me wake up with the same or even more nerve pain than pre-surgery.  Don't panic... with more time it will go away.  In my case it took 4 long horrible months before the nerves calmed down... hopefully in your case it should be faster.  About the only thing you can do is to take pain meds and be patient.

• I'm three weeks post op and 2 weeks I too was getting in horrible burning sensation, heel pain in both my legs (issue was just one leg before). They put me on prednisone. It seems to be helping but what I'm seeing is everbody's recovery is different. Keep in touch with your surgeon and follow the process they've asked you to. I will ping my surgeon to see if I can do repeat MRI if it doesn't get better in another week. Good luck to you.
  • RickallenRRickallen MichiganPosts: 85

It takes time recover from that kind of surgery. 2 weeks is not enough time. take the meds and do as dr says..Im almost 1 month after surgery and im stell sore . I have aonther week to go befor my dr lets me go back to work or not.Slow down and take time healing.  

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.