advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Did injections make you dizzy?

bryan868bbryan868 Posts: 21
edited 12/28/2016 - 7:29 PM in Spinal Injections
(Please don't delete this as a duplicate. I'm wanting to hear from people re: injections vs oral meds).

I got two epidural steroid injections on Friday 12/23 for my herniated disc L5 S1. The first day or so I had some reduced sciatica pain, probably from the anesthetic, but my pain returned on day 2 and I resumed my ibuprofen and norco meds.  Day 4 I was feeling light headed after taking a warm shower and had to lay down, but felt ok the rest of the day.  Day 5 is today and I woke up with severe dizziness / vertigo. Not really a headache, just a swimming feeling in my head and kind of nauseated. My head starts spinning whenever I get up and when I lay down.  I left a message for the doctor who did the injection and his assistant called back saying he didn't think it was anything to worry about and to call back if I have a bad headache or fever. 

However, of course I'm worried!  I have not experienced dizziness like this before. I couldn't go to work today.  I have not taken my medication today thinking maybe it is a side effect?  But I've been taking these meds for about a month now and haven't had problems.  Or is this a side effect of the steroid injection?  

Has anyone experienced this before?
advertisement

Comments

• AWMAAWM NebraskaPosts: 73
    I have had 2 injections in the past, both dealing with the l5 and s1 nerve roots.  I never experienced vertigo from them.  The only side effect I did experience was a little difficulty sleeping/feeling jittery.

I have also taken Norco in the past after both of my back surgeries.  This definitely made me feel different.  I wouldn't say it made me feel dizzy, but it did make me feel light headed and not like myself.  Opiates like Norco are known for a variety of side effects.  Dizziness is one of the most common.
    Dec. 28, 2015 - Laminectomy L3 - S1 (Due to congenital stenosis.)
    Dec. 28, 2015 - Discectomy L3-L4; L4-L5; L5-S1 (L3-L4 & L4-L5 were bulging and L5-S1 was herniated.) 
    May 20, 2016 - Selective Nerve Root Block Injection L5 Nerve Root.
    July 15, 2016 - Epidural Steroid Injection L5 & S1 Nerve Roots.
    Oct. 31, 2016 - Microdiscectomy L5 - S1
  • bryan868bbryan868 Posts: 21
    edited 01/15/2017 - 3:32 AM
    just to follow up on this, my primary thinks i had an inner ear infection, unrelated to anything else.  dizziness went away naturally after about 10 days. 

unfortunately it seems the two injections did nothing. i'm back on the norco and ibuprofen, which also seems to be less effective than before.  pain is pretty intense.

i have a follow up appointment next week to see if they want to do more injections. 

duplicate discussion
    please follow link....https://forum.veritashealth.com/discussion/96282/treatment/pain-medications/dizziness-vertigo-ibuprofen-and-norco
  • advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,694
    bryan868 
    you cannot have 2 duplicate discussions on the forum this is a forum violation.

spine-health forum rule: 5.11 you agree not to make duplicate threads.

was put in place to avoid confusion on the boards.

many people think if they duplicate their thread on several different forum categories, their message will get to more members and responses will follow.

unfortunately, this does not happen. member a creates thread "a" on forum category:  lower back pain then creates thread "a" on forum category :new member introductions then creates thread "a" on forum category: conditions not covered.

so now, we have 3 thread "a" all which are 100% duplicates.

member b sees thread "a" in lower back pain and responds. member c sees thread "a" in conditions not covered no one reads thread "a" in new member conditions

we now have different posts in the different forum categories but addressing the same subject.

we lose any thread/post continuity. the though process is lost and other members may never read the other thread "a"

that is the real reason this rule is in place!

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
Sign In or Join Us to comment.