advertisement
advertisement

Deadlifting Injury, Leg Symptoms Help!!

Hi All,
I am 21, i was deadlifting in the gym.. on my 4th set i felt sudden pop in lower back.
I left the gym right away and got home.. sitting on my couch for 20min everything locked up .. i couldnt move.

Pain went away for the next 4,5 days ... but suddenly i started experiencing strange symptoms in my legs.
Tingling, sudden pins and needles.

I started walking alot.. doing abs strengthening exercises, and stretches of Lower Back, glutes and hamstrings.

I have no pain in lower back, i can bend and twist with almost no pain but symptoms seem to not go away.

Symptoms are worse when sitting for too long.. and lying down.. but it gets better when i get up move around.

i am an active person.. playing football and running since childhood but i regret going to gym and do stupid stuff. HELP!!
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,299
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello xprogramm3rx !
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forumplease click on link for helpful information!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,299
    Hello....
    You may be interested to read ...Chronic Pain Step by Step..
    Can find with search, upper right on page.

Curious ...what did your doctor think?...or suggestions doctor had?..ex..any limitations or restrictions on activity for a time?
  • advertisement
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 410
    It seems like each month - we hear of at least two or three weight lifting injuries.  I believe that it is becoming epidemic in nature.  Far too many (typically) younger members - causing potentially life long damage to their spine.  Done in the name of larger muscle - fit - and tone.  First suggestion - don't dead lift any more "dead" weights.  I try to avoid anything that has the word dead in it.  Just doesn't sound like a good idea.

At 21 it maybe time to put a little more exercise into your brain ...... then your body. I always joke that I will never die of a heart attack while jogging ..............................................................................................because I don't jog.  Problem avoided.
    Ah but youth is all about testing limits ......... I believe your test - surpassed - and injured you limits.  Please get to a doctor (not a chiropractor) for an examination.  Perhaps avoid lifting anything over 10 pounds till cleared by the doctor.

Regards,

MN
  • i had an x-ray as doctor recommended... and it was normal (disc spaces are reserved) .. but i am not satisfied with the x-ray .. do i get an MRI ..?
    X-Rays Typically show only bone (except Chest X-Rays) - THey do not do a good job of looking at all the soft tissue structures of the spine which there are many. (cord - cord covering - disc's - ligaments - etc).  If I was in your situation and the pain is persisting and not improving at all - an MRI would be the next logical imaging study.  How are you feeling??  Any better?? Any changes??  Any medications?? Keep us posted please!

Respectfully,

MN
  • advertisement
  • i have zero pain... little bit of stiffness in the morning - but the thing that bothers me is symptoms ... today i went for a walk for almost 30min.. after i got home my left butt had sensitive to touch kind of mild pain... and i feel like my right glute is bigger than my left glute..? damn i am worried
    SO on mild exertion there is pain .... and possible inflammation..... Talk with your doctor as the right picture can be worth 1000 words (Mostly latin and greek) But the idea is to arrive at a diagnosis using some of the typically indicated tools.  After a diagnosis ..... various PT - strengthening exercises - medication(s) -and/or other more scary stuff can be attempted if indicated.

I try to to worry - unless I know what I'm definitely worried about,

Let us know how your doing.

With Concern,

MN
  • catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 189
    "I started walking alot.. doing abs strengthening exercises, and stretches of Lower Back, glutes and hamstrings."

This is typical for a young man hurting back in the gym.
    After that he is doing intensive exercises and stretches that will damage further injuries disk.
    I did the same 25 years ago and in about 6 months from initial injury I got an extensive damage to the disk.
    Later I had surgery and as most of surgeries the benefit is limited in time.
    I wish I was smarter 25 years ago.
  • i am so scared... i am very serious about my health... its been almost 2 months now since injury happened - there are not alot of chiropractors where i live - should i got to one..? suggestions!

i took nuberol (NSAID) which doctor prescribed but i didnt feel good about the side effects so i stopped taking them

i did PT for one week which didnt help much - i use HOT/COLD pack 2 times a day - i feel pretty good after that
    From my thoughts above ..... "Please get to a doctor (not a chiropractor) for an examination".  This would imply a fellowship trained - Board Certified Orthopedic surgeon or Neurosurgeon - MD or D.O. - Neurologist or possibly a Physiatrist.

Regards,

MN
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.