advertisement
advertisement

Laser Spine

has anyone had a microdisectomy via laser spine center? How did it go? Looking at all options. 
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    carolyn31

we can't discuss specific medical facilities or doctors.

instead, you should be asking about how to choose a great surgeon.  a terrible surgeon who uses the best tools is still a terrible surgeon.  and great tools used for the wrong purpose, don't make them great for that purpose.  let me qualify those statements with that i don't know anything about those centers.

i do know that i don't want anyone using a laser near my spinal cord.  why would they?  i suspect that they wouldn't.

ask your surgeon about his/her training.  were they fellowship trained - that is important.

ask your surgeon how many nights you will stay in the hospital, i feel strongly that it should be at least one, if not more.

ask your surgeon if the surgery will be at a hospital - i really don't like having surgery anyplace else.

check these out:

40 questions to ask your surgeon before back surgery
    specific questions to ask your spine surgeon

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 410
    interesting thought about laser surgery ............. i the 7 ?? years i've been on this forum i don't think i've really heard anything good or bad so ........... https://www.spine-health.com/seek?query=laser+discectomy+

regards,

mn
  • advertisement
  • Thank you all! 
  • Only use a fellowship trained spine surgeon, whether neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. You can also do research on the quality of the fellowship, as some fellowship programs are more highly ranked than others.

Re having surgery in a hospital, in my opinion, it's completely unnecessary unless you have comorbidities likes obesity, diabetes, heart problems, etc. or you live in a community that does not have high quality accredited surgery centers.

I had two cervical surgeries at an accredited surgery center where I was kept overnight in a private room and had one on one nursing care, which you will never get in a hospital.  And when I had a complication with my first surgery, my surgeon came back to see me both at 9:00 p.m. and at 1:00 a.m. and the next morning at 7:00 a.m. to evaluate me.  I suppose the surgeon could have done that at a hospital, but at a hospital, you are more likely to be seen by some exhausted resident or a "hospitalist" who doesn't know you from Adam. I really think it depends upon the quality of the surgery centers in your community and the preference of your surgeon. My surgeon prefers to operate at his surgery center because he has hand-picked the staff and designed the OR to his specifications and he never has to wait for an empty OR.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 410
    OK I'll ask the tough question .... Anyone with direct experience with laser discectomy versus surgical discectomy??
    Please share your experience and thoughts on efficacy??  I guess successful laser would be a start - someone who has experienced both would be ideal.  Thanks,

MN  
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    I said that wrong, I said hospital, but what I really meant was inpatient.  L.A.Spiney correctly points out that there are other options.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.